PDA

View Full Version : H1N1

jbird
10-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Hows this thing effecting your community?

My 15 yr old son was diagnosed with it yesterday. Its a pretty basic flu. Hi fever and cough. Hate seeing him miserable. I wish I could trade places with him. Its double tough cause my wife is in Italy right now. A shocking number of kids at his high school are out with it (or something) So much so that the teachers cant keep up with preparing homework packets for the absent.

The proposal of shutting down the school is "rumored" but possible.

May have to delay/cancel my trip to Canada if he doesent get well soon.

Hairstacker
10-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Jay, sorry to hear about your son, and I hope he recovers very quickly.

I've read that this virus hits young ones particularly hard, and with a 2-year old, I think about this often these days. We've been stepping up on our hygiene practices, hoping for the best. My wife and I don't normally get flu shots, but we're making sure to get the regular seasonal variety this year, although we're still not sure about getting the H1N1 version.

As you noted, I would gladly and without hesitation jump into my little one's shoes if she ever came down with any variety of flu.

David Lee
10-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your Boy , Jay .

Other than being bombarded w/ the 'get your flu shot' stuff at every turn , it isn't effecting us at all . I honestly worry more about Hep , Hemmoragic fever , Malaria , Dengue and such when I travel than the flu . I personally hate being down w/ flu more than ANYTHING .... but at the age of 44 , and in reasonably good shape , I don't sweat it much .

Also never had a shot for any type of flu , and likely won't anytime soon .

David (tell the kid GET WELL SOON !!!!!)

Dabalone
10-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Kids handle fever and flu like symptoms fairly easily. Since this is a new strain and they have some case history I would ask my doctor what to watch for in case it becomes something to worry about. Chest congestion and labored breathing is always signs for concern.

I get flu shots, I think they do far more good than harm but I understand peoples concerns. I have had the regular shot so far but not the H1N1 so I can't give any personal experience about that one yet. Been getting the regular shot for years and never had any problems with it. For those of us getting up there in years even if you are against the flu shot I would recommend getting the pneumonia shot. Too often a bout with the flu leads to further complications from pneumonia especially for the older folks, the pneumonia shot is proven safe and effective.

DFrink
10-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Our pediatrician advised us to keep our 4 month old away from large crouds this year. He is an older guy, doesn't seem like the type to buy into a bunch of hype. I got a regular flue shot, so did the wife. I don't plan on getting the H1N1 shot, not enough testing done on it yet for me. Hope your son gets well.

jbird
10-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the well wishes. Hes doing much better. I woke up yesterday with something buggin me tho. I packed myeslf full of vitamin D and C, drank carrot juice, airborne and multivitamins. Woke up feeling fine thismorning. Planning on hittin the road tomorrow. If I can Ill post some reports from Kamloops.

Darian
10-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi Jay,.... Sorry to ear about your sons illness. From everything I've read and been told about it, the highest risk groups are the very young and adults under age 50. Lots of anxiety around here and attendance at most of the high schools in this area have been impacted negatively. One of reported problems with H1N1 was the apparent recovery only to relapse after a week or so with serious complications.

Hope you're able to make the Canada trip. I'm at risk for the regular variety of influenza. So, for me a regular flu shot is on the agenda after returning from La Paz....

Mrs.Finsallaround
10-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Our 15 yr old is a high risk kid with asthma for any kind of flu, so we will be getting the seasonal version and the H1N1 when it comes out. They ssay those at high risk will get it first and then they will allow others to follow suit if they wish.

When my son was 6 yrs old, he got a "common" flu in JUNE, of all months, and it turned into pneumonia, so we won't be messin' around with getting shots this year.

Glad to hear your teenager is better Jay... I, too, hate to see my son feeling so miserable, cause there's not a damn thing I can do it about it besides making him as comfortable as humanly as possible.