PDA

View Full Version : Sac, Feather, Yuba Report

Darrin.Deel
10-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Been swapping back between The Sac, Feather, And the Yuba the last week.

Lower Sac is fishing good pretty much all the way down to bend. Salmon are dropping eggs but the fish are not on an egg feeding frenzy yet. I have been using lighter tippets lately and unfortunately forking out the dough for 5x fluorocarbon has helped lately. Fish are eating alot of micro mays and Flashback PT's. Egg feeding frenzy should start soon. Steelhead are starting to consistently be caught out of the barge hole.

Yuba is fishing pretty good. Drifted Sat the 3rd and Monday the 5th and got a couple of fish over 18" each day. In the mornings the fish are definitely keyed in on the eggs(glo bugs have worked better than beads for me.) There is a slight doldrum in the middle of the day. Fish are rising all day but the last hour was really good for getting fish on the dry fly. The nymphs that were working good were tan fox poopahs, 16 FBPT's, micro mays and tan non-bead z-wings. The fish we got on dries were on the elk hair caddis, e/c caddis, and foam caddis. My first dry fly I've thrown in a really long time. This happens about every 4 months and i often realize that my casting is butt-ugly and I throw too many indicators and sink tips.

The Feather is starting to get a good run of steelhead. Saturday morning till 8:30 produced 2 steelhead in the 20" range out of shithouse riffle. One on a bead and one and hogan steelie caddis. For anyone who hasn't fished hogans steelie caddis, your missing out. this has been one of my top producers on the feather. I wouldn't call it "time" to fish the feather yet, but expect within the next few weeks for the fishing to get much better.

For the rest of 2009, I will be running half day feather trips for $200. These trips will start at O'Dark Thirty and run for 4-5 hours with tackle, snacks, drinks an flies.

Go to my blog (http://darrinsflytrips.blogspot.com/2009/10/sac-feather-yubaaaaaaa.html)to check out a couple recent pics.

Dabalone
10-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the reports! The Feather is my river of choice locally and always look forward to late October early November and before it gets too cold for my steelhead fishing. Checked out your site, nice pics but it is just too tuff for me to read the black text against a dark blue background.

jjjewett
10-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the report!

you should also resize that photo of the bow in front of sundial bridge. its way to large.