PDA

View Full Version : New hike in stream for Ed and David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-05-2009, 10:29 PM
http://www.wimp.com/scariesttrail/

Ed Wahl
10-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Had me going for a bit there Bill, but then it dawned on me that there was no fishing at the end. Total waste of time.

Until you put your rod in your teeth you're not really climbing.

I have a one track mind, and it's served me well..........so far.

Ed

David Lee
10-06-2009, 07:32 AM
Hmmmmmm ......

What kind of fruitloop builds/pours a concrete and iron trail like that one in THAT kind of canyon ? More huevos than brains .

Years ago , when they used to stock rubber Rainbows in Natoma .... some of those stupid planters would avoid the hook long enough to discover the bounty of the lake - Crawdads and Sculpins . So many Crawdads and Sculpins that the Trout would reach the mid-20 Lb. mark after several years . Fishing bait , we landed some to 11 Lbs. , and lost them to 14 ?

Anyways ..... after taking up the long rod ..... I thought I'd give 'em a shot .

I had my Girlfriend at the time drop me off one Winter morning . Dropped-in @ the NO FISHING marker between Folsom Dam and Rainbow Bridge . While that section of the American canyon isn't as high as the one in the Spanish trail video , it sure the hell was just as steep . I was wearing work boots that were a little thin in the tread department ....

You know where this is going .

I managed to get a few casts in from 5 or 6 feet above the water - took a good look around and found a big flat rock that seemed like a 'good' casting platform . The rock sat at about a 60-degree angle and was damp ..... I wandered over and picked my way down to where I could hop onto it and catch the big ones ....

From 4 feet up , I jumped .

Hit my perfect rock (the surface of which was like buttered ice) and slid up to my neck into the 40-something degree water . One hand straight up holding the rod , the other hand w/ peeled back fingernails trying to find some purchase on the rock . As I lay there , I look downstream and see the next spot where I can pull myself out .....

About 200 yards downstream . I didn't care much for my odds of making it down there , so on to plan B - toss the rod up the bank and start sucking/clawing rock . Took 15 minutes but I made it .

Ever wonder why I nag like your Mama about being careful while fishing ?

David

Dabalone
10-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Man, the holes in the degrading concrete or stone walkway would have been enough for me. Caught myself leaning sideways in my chair while watching.

bob pauli
10-09-2009, 05:35 AM
Thank you, Bill. Excellent post.
Bob