PDA

View Full Version : Insulated backpack/rod 'holster' questions .....

David Lee
10-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Hi all -

I need , I need , I need .......

#1 - A backpack (framed , or not) that is insulated (or has a compartment that is insulated , so I don't die from bad lunch ...) , can hold at least 2 quarts of water , and a reasonable amount of gear . Anyone currently make something like this ?

#2 - Some sort of doo-dad that will hold a flyrod (standard OR a double-hander) fully assembled , and fit on a strap over the shoulder . Any ideas (Shig , you got one like this ?) ???

Thanks for any help - I plan on being a bit more mobile on the beach this November , and am finding that I am very limited in what I can carry using what I have at the moment .

David

Ed Wahl
10-04-2009, 06:36 PM
David, this things been around for years.

A Sherpa. :unibrow:

Just couldn't hold it back.

I'm also imagining a line of 'bearers' from the old Tarzan movies. :D

I remember seeing insulated backpacks somewhere, let me rack my brain a bit.

Ed

David Lee
10-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Yeahhhhh !!

I have the Fantasy Island moments a little too often - a rod bearer who always know when to chuck ya a cold Beer , doesn't tye bad knots , looks like Kathy Ireland ....

Meanwhile , back here on Earth .......

Booked @ Punta Colorada for 15 days in the surf starting November 18th (I freakin' EARNED it , not fishing so I could fix this stupid house all damn Summer ....) - I really want to stretch the distances (quit being a sissy and skip being at the hotel for lunch) and cover more beach . There's a nice estuary a few miles North , and the lighthouse a few miles South . Have to sort a way to carry everything and still be able to cast (rules-out a suitcase) . I'd like to be able to carry a 6 and a 10 , or 7 and 12 ..... but it is unrealistic to hike/fish with BOTH hands full ....

At the same time .... don't want to hump a 50 Lb. pack around .

There has to be something out there that will do the trick .....

D.~

Flycanoe
10-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Ummm....why not get a lunch box size soft sided cold bag like this Polarbag that keeps contents cold all day long. Just put the bag in the freezer ahead of time. Then you can pick what ever backpack you want.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413zVQULKuL._AA400_.jpg

David Lee
10-04-2009, 07:19 PM
FC -

Good idea . I'll google it .....

David

TaylerW
10-04-2009, 07:35 PM
fishpond wildhorse
just throw a cooler in it.

SHigSpeed
10-04-2009, 07:38 PM
I ain't got nothin' for ya now, but...

So you want some sort of scabbard capable of stowing a two-hander while you're walking and chucking with another?

Nothing's impossible and I have some ideas, but making it work around a backpack is the tough part.

_SHig

PaulC
10-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Hey David,
I seem to recall Craig Smith? mentioning something on the Blanton board a while back about a custom made sling he fabricated to carry a second rod so it was on his off casting shoulder.
Found this with a little searching that seems to be a bit more fancy but similar in function to what he mentioned.
I could be totally wrong with the name of the poster over there, but I can't seem to get the search function at Blanton's to find it for me and will have to rely on memory.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewtullifrrsling.html
I'm sure you could make your own similar contraption if so inclined or even modify an assault rifle sling.

As far as the cooler goes, how about lugging one of these down with you?
Maybe some paddle wheels and a bigger gas engine?
http://www.cruzincooler.com/

-Paul

David Lee
10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Lil' Stripe -

Thanks for the lead , I'll have a look at it .

Shig -

You are the only one so far to solve the age-old problem of practically stowing rods on a tube , so I know you could come up w/ something useable . I'll PM you some specs this week ....

Paul -

Assault flyrod ..... LOLOLOLOLOL !! I will work on a sling for the short term ....

Thanks to everyone for the help !!

David

Hairstacker
10-04-2009, 08:50 PM
I still don't see how you can beat Ed's idea of a Sherpa. :lol:

SHigSpeed
10-04-2009, 08:56 PM
I still don't see how you can beat Ed's idea of a Sherpa. :lol:

Kinda like a caddy. I do believe you'll need the 8 weight with the intermediate tip... Your yardage is 48 yards with a slight left to right breeze. Good luck Rajeff!

_SHig

Fats
10-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Fishpond Shooting Star... it has a back pack which is big enough to hold one of the insulated lunch bags plus water. It's very comfy and the chest pod isn't so large it gets in the way. I believe the back can handle having a Rod-Reel Combo strapped to the back. It should make you a mobil unit on the beach!

Charlie S
10-05-2009, 12:38 AM
David: I use a nylon gun sling from which I cut off the metal fasteners top and bottom and replace them with velcro closures for carrying turkeys from the field. I would think this should work great for what you want. Some slings have loops and that would eliminate the need for velcro.

Steelhead Guide
10-05-2009, 03:21 PM
If your serious I would look into Badlands Packs. I have been using them for a few years now and I think they have the best packs on the market. While the pack is designed for hunting I have been able to carry 6 days worth of gear and food for fly fishing trips. The 2800 and 4500 have tube holders on them that were to hold spotting scopes but both my spey tubes and I put a pack cooler in mine that I wet and freeze solid. I have a 72 oz bladder for water and everything else you can think of. All the zippers have garages so fly casting while wearing the pack isn't a problem either.