PDA

View Full Version : Fly tying @ Kienes , October 10th -

David Lee
09-28-2009, 05:35 PM
From around 11:00 'till close .

I will be tying Salt/Striper stuff . Perhaps some other styles , as well ....

If you feel like tying along and learning/trading patterns , please bring your tools .

If you're just starting out in flytying , come get some FREE instruction !

Hopefully , there will be other KBB Flytyers tying with me ??

Everyone is welcome -

David

Rich Leonetti
09-28-2009, 06:31 PM
I'll will stop by...

Hairstacker
09-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Man, this is a wonderful opportunity for folks to stop by and pick up some great fly tying advice and tips. David is an awesome and very versatile tyer, and knowing David, he would love nothing better than for folks to stop by. :nod:

Jgoding
09-29-2009, 04:42 PM
I will be flying back into town on the 9th from Orlando but will try to come by. If anyones interested I can tie some caddis patterns I've developed or even some striper/shad flies but can't make any promises at this point. If anyone wants to see any particular techniques I would suggest askiing David now as well.

Steelhead Guide
10-02-2009, 08:21 AM
The one week that I don't have a day off. I would have loved to learn to tie some striper flies. It's fleet week though so I will be on the US training ship Golden Bear with the California Maritime Academy.
Hope you have a great turn out.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Jgoding....we would love to have you tie at the shop with David.

Scott V
10-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Ooohhh David,
I will bring my tools if you would be so kind to show me how to make the Dragon bugger.

David Lee
10-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Ooohhh David,
I will bring my tools if you would be so kind to show me how to make the Dragon bugger.

Of course .

Jeff Goding is a great tyer , hope he can make it .....

D.~

jbird
10-02-2009, 03:44 PM
David.

Ive been salivating every time go to the mailbox! :-)

David Lee
10-02-2009, 04:04 PM
David.

Ive been salivating every time go to the mailbox! :-)

They're in the mail as of today (October 2nd) .

The DL Dragon -

Simple solution to dubbing a super-thick body ..... use a dubbing loop and SUGGEST girth . So simple , I could kick my own butt when I think about how much time and effort went into all the bulky Dragons I used to tye ......

Take a 3X Streamer hook (#8-#4) , build a thread base .

Take a nice , fluffy hank of Marabou (I like Sculpin Olive) , tye it in . Pinch it short (DO NOT cut it) . Tye-in Mono eyes , and 5 or 6 wraps of 020-025 lead or non-toxic .

Start a dubbing loop - fill it w/ Olive/Brown Angora goat , some fine flash , and something synthetic in deep Red or Rust . Twist the loop and hit it w/ some Velcro , wrap almost to the eyes , stroking back each wrap . Tease it out again w/ the Velcro when you finish . It should look like a heavy Leech-type body when you're done ....

Take a single strand of Sili Legs (barred Olive) , snip it in half , tye-in one half w/ the thread in the middle on each side - you now have two legs on each side (not on the bottom) .

Dub a head , whip finish , glue .

Notice how well the DL Dragon breathes when soaked - short (4-inch) strips will make it 'pulse' , I fish it w/ three or four strips , then a pause (5-15 seconds) .

Fish will HAMMER it , use at least an 8-Lb. tippet .

David

David Lee
10-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Buddy/monster fly tyer Jeff Goding had come down w/ a nasty bug during his travels , so he won't be able to join us tomorrow -that's a shame , because Jeff is a REALLY good tyer .

Again - I'll be there from around 11:00 to close . Bring your vise and tools , learn , teach , chatter , rant , whatever ...... don't be shy if you're just learning , it'll be FUN !!

See ya !

David

David Lee
10-11-2009, 07:27 AM
A fun day w/ a few remarkable moments .....

Had a few old and new Friends drop by , a couple just to watch and several to chat .

Ed Wahl had Family in town , so he could only stay a few moments (which was still cool , as ANY time spent in Ed's company is fun) . GBFC member/master fly tyer Jim Holmes hung out (a real treat for me , as Jim is one of the few people on the planet that can carry on a conversation on pretty much ANY subject ....) along w/ Jim C. and Andy who were working but still managed to chatter for a while .

'Remarkable moments' , you ask ?

Guppy came in and DIALED the Rhody Flatwing in one pass . Gup can cast and tye as well as anyone of ANY AGE I've ever seen - if he chooses a career in the outdoor industry , he's going to go a LONG way ! Considering he isn't old enough to drive a car yet ..... he has mind-blowing talent - pretty rare .

Also had flydabbler (Dean) come in - I had the honor of instructing/watching him tye his very first fly (1/0 Clouser) which came out perfect !!

If these things don't make for a special day .... I don't know what does .

Thanks to everyone who came out !!!!!

David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks for adding lots of pizazz to our shop yesterday.

I was busy at home with honey dos.

Helping people with their first fly is pretty special.

David Lee
10-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Helping people with their first fly is pretty special.

It is ..... very much so .

Thank you Bill for letting me hang around !!

D.~

k.hanley
10-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Nicely done David. Nicely done indeed.
Cheers, K