PDA

View Full Version : Bonefish Bitter, non-epoxy

Bjorn
09-23-2009, 02:53 PM
OK, I said I'd post it when I got it presentable... so... that's what I'm doing.

I tried hot glue and just never got the hang of it. Recently I picked up some Rio UV Knot Sealer (I think this is basically the same thing as UV Knot Sense). Once I put my daughter down for her nap, I broke it out and gave it a try.

I LOVE IT.

This is the first try with this product and this is my first Bonefish Bitter. Feeling like I might just get the hand of this one.

Bjorn

David Lee
09-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Good-looking bug !

I would imagine ...... hot glue could possibly melt in a flybox left in the Sun . Glad you found a solution !

D.~

Steve R
09-23-2009, 03:56 PM
It sure does melt. I now have some Bitter-Charlie-Gotcha-Raghead-Puff-Merkin flies after a trip to Xcalak this spring, YUK!

jbird
09-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey Bjorn, Have you seen Larry Dahlbergs Bone Crusher? Its an interesting design that is based on a fly that rests vertically on the bottom. I saw a video he made comparing the bone crusher to more traditional patterns like gotchas, crazy charlies, clousers. The traditional flies lay prone and almost disapear at rest while the bone crusher stands on its head with its materials straight up and waving in the water.

Theres not a ton of info out there on how they are tied but Larry has a forum and is very willing to discuss tons of his knowledge, including how to tie the BC.
Heres a link to the fly.

http://www.flyofthemonthclub.com/store/catalog.asp?p=3&category_id=53&item=1496

Heres his forum (hope its cool to post this link?)
http://www.purpledesert.net/asklarry/

Darian
09-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Hey, that's quite a fly pattern. Great idea, too. :!: the recipe appears at gthe bottom of the page. I copied it for our info (hope I'm not infringing):

Bone Crusher (Tan Color Scheme) Pattern Recipe: Hook- Gamakatsu 15R- bend hook shank 1/8" behind eye 15 degrees toward point. Thread- Tan 3/0, Eyes- Lead eyes attached just forward of 15 degree bend so hook point rides up, Body- Tan Flashabou dubbing, Legs- Four 1-2" long strands of fluorescent orange tipped Flashabou leg material, Wing- Tan Fuzzy Fiber slightly shorter than legs wrapped parachute style facing up with legs. Pattern Designer: Larry Dahlberg

This type fly design could be useful in the surf, here.... 8) 8)

Bjorn, that's a great looking fly. The head material (glue) looks a lot like UV Knot Sense.... :)

jbird
09-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Darian
I have tied a bunch of these and they do as advertised. If you tie them right (important exactly where you place the eyes) they do stand up. You can tie clousers, gotchas and charlies with the same concept. Larry Dahlberg is one of the (if not THE) most innovative fishemen of our time.

Bjorn
09-23-2009, 10:10 PM
I'll check out the Crusher... I think I remember seeing that on one of his shows back in the day.

The Rio stuff is essentially UV Knot Sense, just a different maker. I'm pretty happy about it, but have to get the UV lamp as most of my tying time comes post-daughter-bed-time... like now.

Thanks for all the great ideas folks!

Bjorn

Darian
09-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Jay,.... I certainly agree about Dahlberg and the Bone Crusher. It really has potential. :nod: Also get a kick out of his TV show about fishing for big fish.... :D :D

Bjorn
09-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Hey All, I just wanted to say that a few days after making the blanks for some more Bitters using the Rio UV Knot stuff, they feel tacky... not totally solid/dry. I've put some Hard As Nails over them and that helps. I'm wondering if UV Knot Sense has that same feel to it, or if they weren't cured enough or if anyone else has a suggestion as to why they feel that way?

B-

Bob Laskodi
09-28-2009, 08:29 AM
All of the UV cure products leave a slimy/tacky feel after curing. You can wipe them down with denatured alchohol or acetone to remove it. Or coat them with Sally Hansens Hard as Nails. I use tons of hot glue and have never had them melt in my box. But then again, I don't leave my fly boxes baking in the sun either!!!!! That's not real good for any fly!!!