PDA

View Full Version : Fort Bragg/Noyo River/Other Possibilities

Fochetti
09-22-2009, 09:08 PM
So my little brother got sick with strep the day before his outdoor ed trip. He is now feeling better, no longer contagious, and wants to go badly. I just conveniently have the day off and got the privilege of taking him out to Fort Bragg.

So here is the part where I need the board. If I am making a trek to the coast, why not stop somewhere and fish. I would prefer something in freshwater, and I know the Noyo River is close.

Does anyone know anything about the river? Rainbows, steelies, if so is it fishing yet? Or are there any other nice spots for fish in the area. I am willing to drive a little. It does not even have to be right there just along my route.

I will be taking I-5 to 20 West...101 N, you get the picture.

Any suggestions would be great, Oh yeah I am leaving at 4am. So I hope I can get something tonight.

Thanks

John

Darian
09-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Sorry to disappoint, but in the area from Eureka southward, all of the coastal rivers/streams are subject to low flow closures except the Russian River. It hasn't rained enough to open them to fishing. Additionally, even when open to fishing, it's all about timing over there. Are the runs (fish) in :question: are the tides right :question: is the mouth of the river/stream open :question: Think late season for that area. :cool:

That being said, you could find some Black Bass and stocked Trout in Lake Cleone (McKerriker State Park) just north of Fort Bragg. If you can avoid the MLPA's, there's some good surf perch fishing up that way. Also, there's Lake Sonoma south/east of Fort Bragg. Plenty of water along Highway 20 before croosing Hwy 101. Smallmouth Bass in the Russian around Healdsburg.... Call the Western Sports Shop in Santa Rosa for current info. :D

Not a great time to go over there for fish. How about some crabs or clamming :question: :question: :D

Fochetti
09-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Darian,

Thanks for the info, and I know all to well about timing for coastal rivers/steel. I have never been in that area before and was just wondering if I should even bring my rod. Thought it would be worth a try.

What is the water on Highway 20 before 101. Bass, trout? And how about the Russian. If I do go after bass, what should I use. I have never fished for bass in a river before. Are there big bass?

I am assuming buggers stripped?

troutbm
09-23-2009, 06:56 AM
All the coastal rivers are low flow closure. The Noyo is flowing at a whopping 2 cfs. From my limited experience on north coat rivers one must practically live on the river to time it right.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Maybe call the Eurekea Fly Shop because they might have some advice too.

If they are open to fishing the tide water of the Eel and Mad River might have some fish in them already. Maybe small Steelhead?

As Darian said call the Western Sport Shop in Santa Rosa and ask for Carlo.

Charlie S
09-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Not much fishing on the coast or on 20 from Willits to Ft Bragg. The river above Lake Mendocino is stocked with trout and you should be able to entice something there if you give it a shot. Be VERY careful below any rock dams, numerous people have underestimated the undertow and drowned in that water.

wjorg
09-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Nope, they are dried up too Bill

Mike O
09-23-2009, 11:01 AM
ABALONE!! Haven't come up with an effective fly yet, but they taste really good!!

Fochetti
09-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Well guys thanks for the info. I ended up stopping at the East Fork of the Russian river just upstream of a bridge on Highway 20. I fished one nice piece of very fishy looking water. Although no fishy, it was very hot and mid day. I only tried a small stimi, I saw no risers and really no sign of fish.

While driving past Clear Lake I saw a lot of fish rising. So, I rigged up and threw the yellow stimi back on. It ended up they were juvenile bass, taking dry flies. Has anyone every seen this before? I caught about thirty or so, pretty much every cast. If they did not take it on top, I stripped in and got many takers. Biggest one was about 10-12". At least there was some fish caught.

Once again, thanks for your attempts at helping me out.

Darian
09-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Fochetti,.... Sorry there wasn't enough time to give you info that may've provided some options for that trip. If you like going over there, you might try to acquire a booklet from Bullwinkles (a book shop in Mendocino) titled, Mendocino County Coastal Fishing & Diving Access Guide by Rouvaishyana. $6.95 and 39 pages total but chock full of info about that area.

Lotsa neat stuff to do over there even when there aren't any Salmon/Steelhead available.... :D :D