PDA

View Full Version : 6 wt switch/line problems

Big Jim
09-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I built a 6 wt 10'6" switch on a batson rainshadow blank. Action is fairly soft. Frankly, I don't really know how best to use this rod. My idea was that it would be good for swinging flies for summer run fish casting 2 handed. I had it up on the Klamath and a few other rivers last season and ended up mostly casting it overhand. It does ok 2 handed with a 6 or 7 wieght floater but I actually get more distance overhand. couldnt do much with it 2 handed with a sinktip or a shooting head system. I am trying to figure out if it is just me or if this rod just wont handle any wieght... or maybe there is a better line for it somewhere. maybe its not meant for for a tip. I am self taught at 2 handed casting so that also may be the problem. Anyway, if anyone has used this rod, I am looking to define what it is good for, and whether i need to get a different one to handle tips, get more distance, etc.

thanks

Jim

aaron
09-21-2009, 11:14 PM
It does ok 2 handed with a 6 or 7 wieght floater

If that's a 6 or 7 weight single hand line then you may be under loaded. You might check out a switch specific line like the Beulah Elixir switch.

Fochetti
09-22-2009, 01:41 AM
I was also going to suggest the Elixir, have it on a 5 wt switch and it's great.

SPG
09-22-2009, 07:26 AM
If your rod is the 1086-4 Batson, then Gary Anderson makes a custom Line or head (casters choice) for that rod. Gary can build it as a floater or as a multi tip with his new ZINK TIPS, any length, welded loops, 6 inches per second sink, 6 or 10 grains per foot for that rod, 14 and 19 grains per foot for bigger sticks. Call him, if it is not one of the 108 series call me. IT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO HAVE THE RIGHT LINE THAT THE RIGHT ROD, Gary, Bob Meiser and I have developed more that 100 specific line recipes for specific rods, mostly theirs but some others and they can be tweaked for individual prefrences. Steve 541-840-2594

Big Jim
09-23-2009, 01:58 AM
Steve,

Thanks for your reply.
You are right, it is a 1086-4. The Multi-tip option you mention sounds very appealing... would you go head or full line? could the multi-tip include a floating head (does that make sense? i guess it depends on the running line...)
Is the number you included yours or Garys?

Here is the info Karry Batson gave me, in case it is interesting to you:

"These blanks really are not designed to throw a spey line so you will have to tweak a line for sure to obtain the perfect load. I would go with the lightest spey line that’s out there and go from there. These blanks do lack the lower power to push a traditional spey line because they are designed to throw a normal weight forward fly line at 30-40 foot load. I will attach the grain window for your review. Best Regards, Karry Batson

Switch Rod Grain Window

Model
Low Grain Window
High Grain Window

IF1085-4M

IF1086-4M

IF1087-4M

IF1088-4M

Karry Batson

Batson Enterprises Inc

SPG
09-23-2009, 07:01 AM
Karry is correct but misleading, all switch rods are too short to throw short, mid, long belly "traditional" spey lines, but can throw scandi and compact skagit lines in a spey style terrific. The butt power is perfect for this rod as measured for a single hand 6 power, which was the designation Batson wanted on their switch rods. Gary and SAGE also use single hand line designation on their switch rods. A #6 single hand rod is approx a #4 spey, which Gary Anderson is a master of and has several models. Gary Bob and I have developed a series of Scandi spey lines/heads from #4 thru #9, or single hand sizes to be cast as Scandi spey #6 thru #11. The phone # is mine, Gary is 541-582-4318, you may call either of us. If Bob Meiser has his new web site up, you could look up what Bob calls the SKANDIT line system. Multi tip with floater and ZINK tips of different lengths, comes with head/tip wallet. steve 541-840-2594

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Hi Steve Godshall (SPG)

It is wonderful having you post on our message board as I believe you are one of the most knowledgeable people in the two handed world.

Thanks for the wonderful help here Steve.