PDA

View Full Version : Flatwings for trout?

MarcP
09-21-2009, 06:57 PM
David Lee's thread about junglecock-eyed-flatwinged streamers got me wondering if anyone out there ties or fishes classic freshwater flatwings. I grew up in Maine fishing classic flatwing streamers for brook trout and salmon. Since I've moved to CA I have yet to give them a shot. So, does anyone fish or tie them, and if so which patterns, and what type of water have you had luck with them?

Here's a very humble looking Gray Ghost I tied; this is the quintessential Maine flatwing streamer:

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/medium/IMGP0509.JPG

Thanks,

Marc P.

Darian
09-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Marc,.... I've been tying some classic Maine streamers for many years.... Met Mike Martinek at the San Mateo ISE show one year and learned more about it than I thought was possible. I still have a couple of his streamers in my collection. 8-)

With the exception of the Black Ghost, I don't fish them, often. in their true sizes and configurations, they're more of a trolling fly. Many classic Maine streamers are size 4 thru 1 and may include a tied in trailer hook. Might be very good behind a float tube.... 8-)

Good looking streamer in the photo. Meaning no disrespect, the fly you have pictured doesn't appear to be a flat wing pattern as I understand them to be. My understanding is that in flat wing patterns, the hackles used in the wings are tied in flat (stacked) on top of the hook shank. So that when viewed from the side, the concave side of the hackle is facing downward toward the shank. Some patterns call for a couple of hackles tied in concave side up and a couple tied in concave side down. Creating a straighter profile. A good example of a flat wing fly is the Nine-Three. :nod:

MarcP
09-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks Darian. I think that I've been using the term flatwing too loosly/incorrectly to refer to all feather-winged streamers. I guess most people do define a flat wing as having the hackle 90 degrees to the shank...I definitely should have known that...:-# thanks.

Love the Blackghost too (although I guess this isn't a flatwinger either I guess).

I have trolled some of the larger size streamers as you mentioned but they also work well (at least in Maine) when stripped on a swing.

Marc P.

Darian
09-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Marc,.... Interesting info. I always associated these streamer types with slow or dead water. When you swing a streamer pattern, what size are you using :question: :question:

MarcP
09-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Darian the size is highly variable; I tie them as small as a #8 TMC 300 up to a #2-#4 partridge Carrie Stevens-10X (pictured above). The larger Stevens style hooks are not nearly as popular in running water as they historically were. Now they are most often trolled and usually tied as a tandem-hook-streamer. However, the larger hooked streamers were historically fished in very swift water and still are by many. Carrie Stevens; who popularized many of these streamers, lived at Upper Dam in Maine where she tied and sold many of these classic streamers like the Gray Ghost. Upper Dam has a very fast vortex like current and historically held very large brook trout. These large streamers took many trout there and still do today.

They're great flies to tie and fish, but I don't know how they would work out here...brookies and land-locked atlantic salmon tend to be a little less selective than the rainbows out here. Also many of the patterns are suggestive of the land-locked rainbow smelt that exist in many of the lake river systems in the North-East.

Marc P.

Darian
09-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Marc,.... That's very cool info. A new perspective for me. I'm familiar with Smelt patterns as tied by Mike Martinek that're smaller sizes and look as tho they could be easily cast. Guess I'll have to try 'em.... :)

Actually, I've tied a streamer pattern for Brookies in Sierra lakes using "....Brook Trout colors." This pattern is based on the colors orange/yellow. Never used it tho. Guess I'll dig it out and try it. If I can find it, I'll post a photo. Kinda resembles a Chief Needebah pattern. :D