PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Rainbow Runner

mems
09-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Aloha, we went offshore today. We got some nice ahi to 20lbs, and some skipjack. I had a big mahi jump towards my popper, when an ono hit and cut me off. The bonus for the day was a school of rainbow runners. I got 5 on the fly and cooked one up for dinner tonight. I smoked it on a cedar pland with some green onions and cashew nuts. My wife and son were very pleased, it is the closest thing we have to yellow tail over here.
Jay and Darian, we had a run of big ahi, I have a friend who got 15 over 200lbs last week. Of course this was with conventional gear while they were fishing ika-shibi style. That is where they catch squid at night and the hook up the big ahi. Be careful what you wish for. The largest I have gotten on a fly is 60lbs and that took 1 1/2 hours. The largest I have gotten on conventional tackle is 250 and that was a monster, but only took 20 minutes. They own you on any type of gear. The only advantage to fly gear is they have to drag theat fly line around. I wish both of you good luck next month. Have a good trip and post lots of pictures, Don.

Jay Murakoshi
09-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Hey Don,

let's see 1 1/2 hours for a 60lber, 150lber....ahhh, heck I have 6 days to land it :-)

Reports I'm getting are showing them around the south and north end of the island. Ya want to bet I come home with 6 broken rods, especially the 8 and 9 wts.

Jay

Darian
09-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Doncha just love it when fish fight over who's gonna take your popper :?: :?: :unibrow:

Now that my hand is close to full use, gotta get busy and tie up some Squid patterns.... Practice some line handling, etc. 8-)

I'm really getting stoked.... :nod: :fish:

mems
09-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Jay you are going to break an 8wt on a big ahi. I would get the TFO heavy. Put on the Teeny tuna line, it is extra strong, 50 lb bionic braid backing. 80lb fluro bite guard, 40lb leader. The biggest 9/0 clouser I could make, a good pair of gloves to hand line it when it gets to the boat. I would chum the school and drop that fly down and jig away. When one hits stick it hard and let it run, when you get it turned keep the head circling up, put up the engines and keep up the pressure, slow and steady. I would not want to get the fish to the boat right away and let it get all freaked out. Just slow and steady circles. Let it get to the surface keep the head out and put a couple of good gaff shots into the head. If the fish gets its head down it starts all over again, if they didn't break your rod. Be ready for a work out! After the first couple of big ones you will be looking for a marlin or a mahi. Fish that jump get tired, ahi fight for keeps. I worry about you guys taking care of a big ahi down there. The meat is going to get burned. Here will gill and gut them and pack them with ice. The only ice I saw down there was in a margerita. If you let them go, then it won't matter. They are something to be proud of. Good luck, Darian I hope your hand holds up, Don.

Tony Buzolich
09-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Right on Don about that ice thing. I took one a few years ago in Loreto that went 35-40# on a 13 weight RPLXi and I wished I'd had a rod MUCHO bigger.

After playing this fish for over an hour we headed in and got it right into the freezer at the hotel, but, when it came to eating it back at home it wasn't the fresh sashimi I was craving for. Still edible but I wish I had some ice on board our panga when it was caught.

Jay Murakoshi
09-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Mems,

I'll take a small one to eat but I break off the larger ones. I don't like fighting a fish for more than 10 minutes. I've caught a few large Ahi's 45 to 50lbs but nothing bigger than that. I watch those 15 to 18lb skipjack rip butt on most of my angler's. I can't even imagine them hooking into a big ahi.
I'm going for the "got milk". I've got a dinner bet going with one of my clients who's returning next year.
I can't wait to watch those fish tear apart the Hula Girl. I'm going to throw it with the LD TFO rod. I think that's the biggest rod I have, no wait I have a 14wt but a two piece. For the extra charge the airlines are tacking on the second bag, it will stay in my closet.
I hope to have some underwater footage of marlin and ahi eating.
I wish I had the new Gopro 1080 HD camera going with me but they won't be on the market until the end of October. I've already got 5 sold already

I'll post some photo's of the trip

Jay