PDA

View Full Version : Heenan - Slow Going...

SHigSpeed
09-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Well, found a gap in scheduling to get my first Heenan trip of the year in. Weather looked clear (no snow this time - fingers crossed...) and a friend needed a lake Lahontan for his next CHTC cert.

Left at the crack of pre-dawn and headed up the hill. At one point we blocked Scott V NASCAR-style to prevent him from beating us to the honey hole! Unfortunately, his mighty Yaris was too much for our Subie and he was by. I guess he forgot where the honey hole was, as he "skunked" off to ICR for some sure-thing lovin'.

Dawn:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2478/3939191798_bdff78943c.jpg

Survey results so far. Not promising, though Friday was the hot day so far.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2456/3939191126_eb246d5942.jpg

So my partner today managed to nab a nice 18"er pretty early so his mission was accomplished. Took me a while longer, but I managed this guy on a Purp/Blk Wiggle trailing a Purp soft hackle:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2556/3938415213_e38aca5535.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3524/3939190456_3d81d8cdfd.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2662/3938412133_9c3faac17a.jpg

Later, I finally got a halfway decent LCT on a Purple Prince trailing a Chartreuse/White Beetle thingie:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2565/3939193124_529700b8f8.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2663/3938412587_1b1ffa603a.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2455/3938411507_986b3d0eb7.jpg

Not up to the last trip last year, but that WAS during the last weekend of October. Also, based on the trend of the catching, I don't think I can complain. I saw a LOT of stinky black and white on the lake today, and I wasn't one of 'em! Plus, we were off the water by noon so it wasn't a full day assault. I did get a couple of other bumps including one "big dog" pull, but blanked. Oh well, next time...

_SHig

Steelhead Guide
09-20-2009, 04:30 PM
This looks fantastic, where is this lake located if it isn't a secret. How long of a pack from the truck to the water?

Fochetti
09-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Scott,

How did you end up doing?

Chris Evison
09-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Steelhead Guide- Heenan lake is on Hwy 89 in the monitor pass are and it is no secret. Short walk from parking lot to the lake. Great place to tube say my friends and it is pretty up there. Lake is only open F/S/S from first weekend in sept to last weekend in oct.

SHigSpeed
09-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Zero limit, barbless artificials only as well.

_SHig

Scott V
09-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Fished both Heenan and Indian Creek. Both places kicked my butt, I got a dinker at Indian Creek. Still it was a nice day on the water and I'll be back again.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Is the season at Heenan Lake still open only Firday/Saturday/Sunday in September and October?

SHigSpeed
09-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Yes. Friday before Labor Day until the last Sunday in October (F, S, Su only).

_SHig

Ed Wahl
09-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Do Heenan Lake LCT qualify as heritage trout? I thought that population was determined to be introgressed years ago.

If i'm wrong please set me straight on this.

Ed

SHigSpeed
09-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Counts! Cool thing is the litho on the cert is different for the lake coloration (from Heenan for example) vs. a stream coloration (Upper Truckee). Same with steelhead vs. resident rainbow for the coastal 'bow requirement.

I plan to get my second cert next year with the remaining species (Warner, Goose, Eagle, Coastal Cutt, and the steelie and creek LCT. This way I have 12 unique prints for the 10 species represented.

_SHig

Fochetti
09-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Do they give you a individual print for each fish on the certificate?

SHigSpeed
09-21-2009, 06:42 AM
Do they give you a individual print for each fish on the certificate?

No, there are six prints on each cert (along with the date and water that you got the fish plus your name and cert serial number yadda yadda...).

_SHig

gene goss
09-21-2009, 07:36 AM
You have to park your car in the parking lot......but you can drive down to the lake edge to unload your gear....or car top boat.

Grateful Trout
09-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Here are my two certificates. I've heard (2nd hand) that you can't have both Lahontans on the same certificate. Different source says you can't have the Coastal Rainbow and the Steelhead on the same certificate. Don't know if that's true or not. But if you're still in the planning stages, you might want to check it out. Yeah, I know it's kinda silly to black out the locations, but, hey, the research is half the fun right? I will give you a hint - I caught my Eagle Lake Rainbow in Eagle Lake. There, I've done it. I've given away a heritage trout location. Now I just have to wait until we can legally fish for Paiute in its native waters, though I might go get one in one of the transplanted locations. Have fun on the remainder of your quests.

SHigSpeed
09-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Here are my two certificates. I've heard (2nd hand) that you can't have both Lahontans on the same certificate. Different source says you can't have the Coastal Rainbow and the Steelhead on the same certificate. Don't know if that's true or not. But if you're still in the planning stages, you might want to check it out. Yeah, I know it's kinda silly to black out the locations, but, hey, the research is half the fun right? I will give you a hint - I caught my Eagle Lake Rainbow in Eagle Lake. There, I've done it. I've given away a heritage trout location. Now I just have to wait until we can legally fish for Paiute in its native waters, though I might go get one in one of the transplanted locations. Have fun on the remainder of your quests.

Eagle Lake trout in Eagle Lake!? What, next you'll be offering a trout out of your freezer for people to get a photo with? <lol>

I'm good for the LCT/Coastal deal though. My first cert has a lake LCT and resident CRT. My next will have the river LCT and Steelie.

Man, you JUST missed #100. Still waiting for mine, wonder what number I'll get? :)

_SHig

Fochetti
09-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Those are so awesome I can't wait to get my first one only a few more to go...

Thanks for the pics.

IronMtn
09-22-2009, 10:11 AM

How about a 1/2 day on Heenan this Sunday, first light to lunch? I know a full day with the native trout guru is pushing it, but I'll repay you in 12 oz. increments of IPA for every hour spent on the water.

Ned Morris
09-22-2009, 05:02 PM

You cannot get Steelhead or Coastal Rainbow on the same certificate as well as both Stream Resident and Lacustrine LCT. DFG doesn't advertise Steelhead as a qualifying Native fish on the website but they will put it on the certificate. I surprisingly got it on my first CHTC (#5) when I submitted it as a coastal Rainbow since genetically they are identical. What a surprise. So on my second CHTC (#57) submitted a true inland coastal rainbow form from the Clavey River. Pretty cool you can switch things up.

Hey Scott,
Have hope they will allow a catch & release fishery for Paiute on SKC someday. I was very lucky back in 1994 to get one below the falls. Anyways there are streams and a lake outside the drainage that have established populations. And stay tuned on the Bullies coming back to the Upper McCloud. We are working on it.

SHigSpeed
09-22-2009, 05:36 PM
You cannot get Steelhead or Coastal Rainbow on the same certificate as well as both Stream Resident and Lacustrine LCT. DFG doesn't advertise Steelhead as a qualifying Native fish on the website but they will put it on the certificate. I surprisingly got it on my first CHTC (#5) when I submitted it as a coastal Rainbow since genetically they are identical. What a surprise. So on my second CHTC (#57) submitted a true inland coastal rainbow form from the Clavey River. Pretty cool you can switch things up.

Hey Scott,
Have hope they will allow a catch & release fishery for Paiute on SKC someday. I was very lucky back in 1994 to get one below the falls. Anyways there are streams and a lake outside the drainage that have established populations. And stay tuned on the Bullies coming back to the Upper McCloud. We are working on it.

So historic Paiute photos count? Too bad I've never taken one though...

Bullies eh!? SwEEET! Just gotta kill off all the brookies first? Or do they not hybridize? Thing is with the Paiute and Bulls, I won't be able to do my third without "re-runs". :)

_SHig

Ned Morris
09-22-2009, 06:07 PM
So historic Paiute photos count? Too bad I've never taken one though...

Bullies eh!? SwEEET! Just gotta kill off all the brookies first? Or do they not hybridize? Thing is with the Paiute and Bulls, I won't be able to do my third without "re-runs". :)

_SHig

Brookies are just the tip of the iceberg SHIGspeed and yes they hybridize quite easily. A ton of other factors have to be reversed in order for a successful re-intorduction. This is a decades in the making project - but may happen in our lifetime. Working with USGS and USFWS to get the ball rolling. Unsuccessful attempt with Klamath Basin fish in 1990 really set this project back with all focus going to keeping the Paiute from a similar fate. The McCloud Bull Trout is extinct forever. A token fluvial population from OR or maybe even ID will have to be the transplant if this does get the resources to become a reality.

Nick B
09-24-2009, 12:08 PM
One problem with the bull trout is their ecology. As a dominant piscivore they require a substantial prey base to support a populations. Since the McCloud is deprived of anadramous salmonines, successful reestablishment of a healthy population of bullies will be a challenge at best.

Ned Morris
09-24-2009, 05:08 PM
I am being realistic as I can. Life history of Bull Trout makes them a 100% piscovore once they reach 10-12 inches. The McCloud Bull Trout held on for about 30 years after construction of Shasta Dam which is amazing since their prime food source (salmon smolts) were no longer existant. However there are small isolated fluvial populations in the Upper Klamath Basin & Malheur River Drainage in OR that persist with other salmonids making up their diet (small trout, etc.) Also the Bull Trout of the Metolious actually adapted to the abscence of Salmon smolts when Lake Billy Chinook was created. The Bull Trout there adapted and made Kokanee and Whitefish their prime food source and actually thrive. So with some hesistation, there are a handful of Biologists that aren't willing to throw in the towel just yet but fully realize how far fetched this sounds. You are unfortunately very correct that to establish a population will be a challenge at best and undoubtebly require recurring transplants as a self sustaining population may not be entirely possible. More research is being done and like I said decades in the making project. Habitat and non-native trout play such a huge role in this. But I have hope. If no one has hope then the dream will be gone forever. There is going to be a Bull Trout workshop in Klamath Falls headed by USGS and USFWS next year with this "proposal" on the adgenda. Hopefully this can create the spark of interest and get it moving.