PDA

View Full Version : Take a LOOK !!!!

Jay Murakoshi
09-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Darian, Renee, Steve, Vince, Grant.....

Take a peek at the Saltwater link that Bajafly posted....Now that's what I want to tangle with or maybe something just a tad smaller. A 12wt. Maybe?

I can't wait,now it's less than a month away

Jay

Darian
09-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Yep!!!!.... Saw it!!!! 200 + pounds. :eek: I'm thinkin' 14 weight with 1,000 yards of braid and an extra load of gas for a 60 pounder. :unibrow: I read the blog. That fish was on for over 8 hours and on conventional gear. :)

Gotta tie some bigger flies.... :unibrow: :unibrow:

Jay Murakoshi
09-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Hell, you might need a couple extra lunches and 20 gallons of water. Maybe a high beam spot light so you can find your way back to the beach

Damn, I'm excited

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
09-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Maybe I'll even jig for a squid.... A great calamari dinner at the hotel

Jay

Darian
09-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Humbodt's make good cut bait, too.... :cool:

Jay Murakoshi
09-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Darian,

Take a looks at Jonathan's site. Some great looking fish are being caught right now. Bit YFT and BIGGER Pez Gallo's.

Damn, I love this life

Jay

stevie steelhead
09-22-2009, 07:28 AM
When I was in Cabo Pulmo in May, we got into the YFT's every day. The schools of 30-70 # fish had just arrived. I had never caught a big tuna on a cast fly.
My buddies were fishing with live bait, and I was on another boat fly fishing with one of Jay's sea habits.
The conventional guys caught a tuna around 50 lbs. and it took two of them 11/2 hours, using 30 # test line. They were both exhausted.
I threw my fly into the busting bait cauldron, counted to 20, began stripping and hooked a 40# tuna with my 13 wt fly rod, and it took me about 30-45 minutes with constant pressure, runnning from the bow to the stern constantly.
It almost seemed easier with a big stick flyrod, and Rio Levanthian 550gr. line.
Thoughts?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-22-2009, 08:09 AM
That would give me a soar back for a week.

http://accuratefishing.blogspot.com/2009/09/east-cape-201-pound-yellowfin-on-boss.html

Darian
09-22-2009, 09:46 AM
WOW!!!! Those are some fine looking fish. :eek: Good thing Renee uses braid on her spinning reel.... :lol: I'm going to spend a bit more time on cardio between now and the time we go down there. :nod:

Stevie,.... If I read your ending question correctly, you're asking why the fly rod fish was landed in shorter time than those on conventional gear.... That circumstance has been mentioned on other BB's but I can't recall the conclusion. :confused: Now, I'm not an engineer, so anything I say is a best guess and there're a bunch of variables involved that you didn't mention (e.g. drag settings, pound test of class tippet, how much and what type of backing you used). From your description of the fight, the Panga captain didn't move the boat to follow the fish. :neutral:

Seems to me that a longer (fly) rod would tend to cushion or protect to the class tippet that stiffer conventional gear(:?:) doesn't (all things being equal). Differing drag settings between your rig and the others may've played a part in the time required, also.... :confused: There're some people that participate on this BB that are much more experienced on this than I. Maybe they can contribute. :nod:

In any case, you've done something I haven't and it sounds like you had a great time/trip. :D :D :D

Steve R
09-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Bringing TFO BW arsenal, Mini-Mag to HD. 26 days and counting.
Steve

Jay Murakoshi
09-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Heck, who's counting? ME, ME, ME.

I gotta find some time to tie up a dozen flies. I've been laying sod for the past two days and too damn tired to pick up a bobbin. Just washed some nice looking bucktails but got to get motivated to sit behind the vise.

The first fly that's going to feed a marlin will be the BIG pink Airhead that Charlie Bisharat tied up for me. Gotta get him a photo of a marlin eating.

If this October trip pans outs which I think it will, I will be adding the October weeks to my 2010 schedule.

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
10-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Did you see that huge tuna that was landed - 300+ lbs. Looks like I might need something heavier than a 10 wt.

The day is getting closer

Jay