PDA

View Full Version : Grayling in CA - The Rumors Persist

Ned Morris
09-17-2009, 07:46 PM
I keep hearing rumors of an occasional Grayling sighting in Jackson Meadows Res. To be honest, I think this is far fetched as there is no historical record of Grayling ever being planted there. I was fortunate to catch two Grayling in Lobdell Lake when I was a young teenager in the late 80's just before the drought wiped them out. Everyone I know has said that was the only place in CA that had an established population. No news to my knowledge since. Anyone out there see s Grayling at Jackson Meadows? I am cruious about this pipe dream.

Langenbeck
09-20-2009, 06:14 PM
In the late 70's Middle Lindsey Lake above Fuller Lake used to have a very healthy population of grayling from about 9-14"s.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-20-2009, 09:58 PM
I heard they were in Lobdell Lake some years ago.

Ned Morris
09-21-2009, 08:57 AM
If Grayling were found in Middle Lindsey as late as the 70's then a few could have been tossed into Jackson Meadows Res. I guess as they are in the same surrounding area of Bowman. My guess is that Grayling no longer persists in Middle Lindsey Lake correct? Anyone else know of once established populations in CA? Thanks very much for the info.

In the late 70's Middle Lindsey Lake above Fuller Lake used to have a very healthy population of grayling from about 9-14"s.

k.hanley
09-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Troutdog if you check the DFG angling records you'll find that Don Acton (Bishop) caught a 1 lb. 12 oz. Arctic grayling out of Lobdell Lake (Mono Co.) Aug 27th, 1974.

Here's the link: http://www.nrm.dfg.ca.gov/AnglingRecords/Default.aspx

I don't really know much about the situation in current waters. I realize you mentiond that you caught them in Lobdell Lake in the 80's. I just thought this would at least help qualify the same water for holding grayling back in the 70's.
Cheers, Ken

Ned Morris
09-22-2009, 09:00 AM
The Grayling question in CA is a curious one. I need to revisit this as there seems to be some known catches, documentations, and sightings outside Lobdell Lake some years back that may be worth investigating. I have been back to Lobdell just twice since I caught a Grayling out of it in 1988. 1992 produced not a single fish for me and 1994 all I caught were rainbows and upon further reading and talks with DFG they were pronounced extinct from that watershed.

CapitalFishr
09-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Bullpen lake just north of lindsey lakes is reported to have grayling. I haven't fished this lake for some reason although I've fished the general area numerous times.