PDA

View Full Version : Hewescraft boats

TomV
09-16-2009, 10:36 PM
I was up in the Northwest last weekend and saw a few Hewescraft jet boats for sale and was wondering about them. How do they compare to some of the more well known boats like NorthRiver, Alumaweld, Willie, etc? According to their website they are a company that has been around for many years.

onemorecast
09-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Hewescrafts are great boats. I've found that certain brands are more popular in certain regions of the country. I almost bought a Hewescraft many years ago but ended up with a whaler (at the time I did a lot of ocean fishing). I did test drive one at Boat County off of hwy 120 and was very impressed. If you are serious about buying one, Boat Courty is the way to go. Good luck.

Steelhead Guide
09-27-2009, 12:14 PM
I have had 2 now, I loved my open fisherman with a 150 tiller, ran a lot of good big water with that boat, then had a sportsman 20' nice boat, but I wish I had stayed with the tiller, easier to guide out of.
As far as the boats themselves, I think they are built better than most and they take the time to do the kind of q q that leads to a boat for a life time. They are a bit heavier and deeper v than some so if your running skinny waters a Northriver with a shallower 6 deg transom and a pump.

slimfishin's
09-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Hewescraft have really updated their lineup in the last 5-10 years. Before about 1999, their boats were not that great. They added better windshields and better chines to their boats... just look at used ones and you will see a definite progression of design changes since the mid-1990's.

I think they are a well built boat similar to Alumaweld, but probably not as nice as some of the other brands, which is likely reflected in their price. Their 16 foot Sportsman is a real popular model for all around fishing, but seems a bit small inside for me. They seem to make a reputable product, just not as fancy as some.

I would personally opt for another brand like Weldcraft, Alumaweld, North River etc, but everyone is looking for something a bit different. Check the specs on the hull thickness and designs... 6 deg, 10 deg , delta pads etc. for hull designs. Some are going to be better with props, and some for jets. Take a look at the quality of the hatches (plastic, diamond plate...etc.) and the amount of storage and the interior layout. The more expensive boats will have better components in terms of hatches, instrument panels, flooring, and accessories. Willie and Koffler tend to have lots of diamond plate flooring and decking, which lasts forever and costs a fortune. So... as usual, its a trade off on what you think is important.