PDA

View Full Version : Rod rack ala shigspeed

jbird
09-16-2009, 03:11 PM
First I owe Mr SHigSpeed a thanks for puting the idea in my head and posting a great diy system!

I built one similar with a few little tweaks. I found a site online that had about 30 different diy PVC rod racks and I must say, shigspeeds design seemed the most functional. But with all these pictures in my head, I went to work.

Im the kinda guy who starts building without a solid plan and things evolve as it goes together. ( odd trait for a contractor huh?)

As I progressed into this thing I decided I wanted a holder sticking out the front. Mainly for rigging. It will be a great way to fiddle with flies/leaders/etc. without laying the rod on the apron. It will also be nice for kick trolling with sandwich in my hand :-)

The next oddity is the camera mount. Allways wanted to do this and thought this was as easy a place as any to put one. My little dig cam shoots pretty darn good movies and it would be cool to film some stuff...not to mention just having the cam handy. I have a mini folding tripod. I just screwed it on and stuffed it in the pvc.

I put a $.99 drink holder on 'er! Id like to find a better one tho.

My counter pressure supports (for lack of a better term) are a bit different as you can see.

I painted the whole thing a neutral color.

Anyway, thats about it. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Plan on taking this rig up to Kamloops in a couple weeks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC08685.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC08688.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC08690.jpg

Darian
09-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Hey Jay,.... Good looking stuff there. :cool: However, you need another station for holding one of those stainless grills (the kind they use on sail boats) that swing outboard for cooking fish the instant they're off the hook and a platform behind the seat for a cooler for those beverages.... :nod: :nod: :nod: ;)

jbird
09-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Dont give me any ideas Darian! I already feel a bit like the beverly hillbillies with this thing!

SHigSpeed
09-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Looking good! I like the camera mount. I have one figured out for my 'toon but I've been meaning to set one up for a float tube.

_SHig

AndreD
09-16-2009, 04:24 PM
How are you guys cutting the slots in the PVC for the rods?

Ed Wahl
09-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Careful there Jay, one or two more pieces of equipment on that one side and you might roll over like Fred Flintstone's car. :D

Ed

SHigSpeed
09-16-2009, 07:17 PM
I use sharks with frickin' laser beams attatched to their heads. I don't know about J.

_SHig

jburge
09-16-2009, 09:06 PM
You guys are freakin' me out. So many options, so many custom features. I'll never go fishing, I'll just be tunin' my rig ;-)

John

Ed Wahl
09-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I use sharks with frickin' laser beams attatched to their heads. I don't know about J.

_SHig

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

jbird
09-16-2009, 09:25 PM
How are you guys cutting the slots in the PVC for the rods?
Andre. I couldnt afford the sharks with fricken lazer beams to do my cutting, I had to resort to the old fashion way. Chop saw, table saw and dremel.

Ed, Good point! I may need to put a pontoon under it and make it an outrigger...or a side car. Hey! I could make a platform for my dog!!!