PDA

View Full Version : More Klamath steelhead pattern info

flyweaver@aol.com
09-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the help with the Assassin. Now trying for additional about the Mossback. Seems to be a variation on the Brindle Bug, but depending on what you read, many variations... Only constant appears to be the green/black variegated chenille?

Some have it as a sort of nymph with rubber legs, a red tag and gold krystal flash tail. Others have it as a simple variation on the Brindle Bug wet fly with only the chenille color changing?

Again....any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,
Duane

Darian
09-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Duane,.... Check out the photo's under the Steelhead Forum thread, "Trinity Swing Flies" for a photo of a Mossback. Truth be told, each variation of any Steelhead pattern is/was an attempt to improve on the original. 8-)

You wouldn't think it possible but, in some cases, there're so many variations of a single pattern that it's just easier to pick a pattern tied by someone you trust and go fishing.... :nod:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-17-2009, 12:19 AM
This is one of Rick Jorgen's BH Mossbacks.

http://kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17693

More pictures here

JD
09-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Brindle Bugs, Mossbacks, and Assassins...sounds like you've got everything you need. I've always assumed the Mossback, as per the examples Bill pointed out, was the same as the Brindle Bug but with green and black variegated chenille, instead of yellow/black. Only other fly I might add to the list is the Burlap, which is one of my favorites (bucktail/deer tail, burlap body, grizzly hackle). These are vernerable, proven patterns that do not need a lot of flash to be effective.

Rick J
09-18-2009, 11:16 AM
I would second JD's recommendation of a burlap - look at the Burlap pattern I have a photo of in the other post - designed by my good friend Brett Jensen - called a Klamath Caddis - although it has and elk hair wing do not hesitate to fish this fly on a sink tip subsurface - it is killer - it has reversed tapered body with the under-body built up using foam with a burlap over body