PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac Report

nickcsus
09-13-2009, 12:06 PM
OK, so this is actually a report on the upper Lower Sac!

Went fishing on Friday with Chris Parsons of the Fly Shop and had what I consider to be my best day ever on that water. Chris had said that the rainbows were running larger than usual for the past week or so and I can now confirm that...we made two passes on the Posse Grounds to Cypress leg of the river and found large fish on every fishable run.

I have typically found it common on that leg of the Lower Sac to get at least one 18-20" fish but Friday was very different. Of the twenty or so fish to the net, only one was smaller than 18"! More important these fish were incredibly girthy so that even the 18 inchers were pushing four pounds. Biggest fish was in the 21-22" inch range and very fat! Almost all the fish were taken on a unbeaded cinammon Fox's Poopah fished below a #6 brown rubber legs. These fish had me wishing my Scott 6 weight S3 had a fighting butt!

If you have some time, now is the moment to get up to Redding. Chris is a terrific guide with outstanding boat skills. He's great with new fishermen or veterans. I just have to give him a plug for the great day that we had!

You don't need to go to Alaska for a day of really big 'bows! They're right here in Redding!

Nick Burnett

markem8
09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Hey Nick,

Sounds like a great trip. That is a lot of big fish in one day! It is good to see someone else from campus on the forum. I have to hit the Lower Sac one of these days. I fished Heenan Lake and the East Carson over the weekend. Heenan was slow (1 fish before rain drove us off the lake). The East Carson fished well yesterday in the wild trout section. I managed to pick up this big bow and actually land it on size #20 fly and 5X:

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n147/MarkEM8/ECarson9-13-09.jpg

Luckly my buddy was around and we shot a quick picture with the camera phone.

I will see you around campus.

Mark McGushin
Student-Athlete Resource Center

nickcsus
09-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Terrific looking rainbow! They must have to eat an awful lot of bugs to get that fat! We will have to get you up on the Lower Sac for a trip. It certainly was a nice way to spend a furlough day!

Nick from CSUS