PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Purchases for the Newbie

Dean Y.
09-12-2009, 12:29 PM
hi,
Apologies if this has been done lots of times. The search function did not turn up much on my question.

I'm new to flyfishing. I have a 5wt rod and reel, waders, and boots that I picked up from Kiene's.

I don't need much else right now as I'm not really fishing, I'm pretty much just casting :D. That said, I'm would like to get some input into "must have" (if there are any) startup equipment for beginners. I figure I'll need a vest, net, and probably lots of other things. What else?

What should I consider in my purchases? For example, vests seem to come in lots of varieties. What elements/funtions are important to consider for these new purchases?

I'll be fishing for trout and steelhead almost exclusively for now. And, I don't have a huge budget to work with.

Thanks!

Hairstacker
09-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Essentials? Fly rod, reel, fly line, backing, couple of leaders, tippet material, box of flies, fly floatant, some bobbers and split-shot if you plan on nymphing, nippers attached to a zinger to cut monofilament, hemostats to fish out deeply hooked flies, and a hook sharpener to keep your fly hooks sticky sharp. Pliers are handy for mashing down hook barbs. Unless I've overlooked something, that's it, everything else falls more into the "nice-to-have" category.

For the type of fishing you plan on doing, I'd also like to have a net, and depending on where I was going, a wading stick.

As far as vests, there's a lot of personal preference involved in such a decision, with some preferring vests, others preferring shoulder slings, chest packs, waist packs, or lanyards.

If you're sold on the idea of a vest (very traditional choice :)), I would think about one that is roomy so you can wear it over a jacket, has at least a couple of pockets that will fit large (i.e., 8" - 9"-long) fly boxes, and has a built-in yoke of some sort to distribute the weight over your shoulders rather than just around your neck. You might also consider getting a mesh version, as they're cooler and it's easier to dress up than dress down. Lastly, you might seriously consider getting a "shorty" version, as it's just a tad less likely you'll end up soaking your fly boxes if you wade deeper. Personally, I own an Orvis Super Wading Tac-L-Pak vest and an Orvis Battenkill Pro Guide Mesh vest, and I think they're top-notch and really like 'em both.

By the way, if you're going to be fishing for steelhead, I would also invest in a second, heavier rod.

Dean Y.
09-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks, Hairstacker.

I'm glad you mentioned the personal preference issue with the vests et al. At this point, I can't say for certain which system I'd find preferable. I'll probably just have to try the option that seems likely to work best for me and see how things work out.

zinger = something that retracts and stays fixed to a vest, jacket, chest bag?

oh yeah. I'll definitely look into a heavier rod if I try for the bigger steelies!

thanks!

Dave Neal
09-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Forceps and a good net! Gotta think positive and plan ahead...

Hairstacker
09-12-2009, 08:30 PM
zinger = something that retracts and stays fixed to a vest, jacket, chest bag?

Yep, that's a zinger all right.

Good luck with the vests and all . . . I currently own 4 vests, 3 chest packs, and several waist packs, and I happen to like all of these options. :D

Ben Kobrin
09-12-2009, 08:33 PM
It's not equipment, but if I were starting over again I would spend way more money on guides. A day with a good guide will increase your enjoyment of fly fishing more than any piece of gear (and this advice is coming from a gear junkie!). A few years ago I sprung for a guide for the first time. The trip was on the McCloud, but because of what I learned there I started catching more fish everywhere I went. Now, anytime I take a trip to a new piece of water, I try to spend at least some time with a good, local guide.

-Ben

troutbm
09-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Your going to need a few flys too. Don't get caught up buying a bunch of fly's that "look nice" in the bins, Go with the tried and proven patterns to begin with. As for vest or chest packs or shoulder slings, Honestly none of them really stand out as better then others, I find whenever I switch to something else, Wich is rare, It takes a few trips to feel it out and get comfortable with it. You can make it as simple or as technical as you want to. Most carry way to much stuff. You can easily be succesful on most waters with just enough gear to fit in your pocket.

Dabalone
09-13-2009, 01:44 PM
I stumbled thru the learning process over the years, reading, watching etc. trying this and that, if I could do it over again I definitely would take advantage of the classes offered. Maybe start with casting, but getting out on the river with someone who can teach you casting technique's and gear setups on the water will put you way ahead of the learning curve quickly. Instructors will also help you wisely pick your gear correctly the first time based on what you want to do. See what classes Kiene's shop offers. Learning first hand on the water from the pro's is the way to go imo.

JayDubP
09-13-2009, 02:07 PM
I second WoollyBugger's post re: spending money on fishing guides- especially on water that you will fish most. That way you will learn the techniques for that water. Cut a lot of frustration out and accelerate the learning process.

PLUS once you ID the water(s) you will fish most regularly -- then you will be in a position to buy the proper equipment for the type of fishing you will be doing. Quality, used rod and reel are great way tos tart- until you can tell the difference.

IF not, you will end up spending so much $$ and have so much "stuff" sitting around, versus having "stuff" you will use frequently.

And also follow Dabalone's post. Join a club, its a cheap way to meet fishing buds and to get access to classes and help.

Dean Y.
09-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

I did take a beginners casting class (from Jeff P.). Right now, I'm practicing what I've learned and trying to get the "feel" of casting. I'll continue to take classes as my skills progress.

As for gear, I'm a minimalist at heart. So, I don't think I'll get caught up in the gear. But, since I don't know much about what I might/could need, I thought I'd ask here to get some ideas. As it stands now, I don't think I have anything unnecessary. But, I should consider items that will allow me to let the fish go as safely as possible.

I'm a bit torn on the issue of guides. I'm sure they'll speed the learning process and lead to catching more fish. However, with my budget, guides are somewhat cost prohibitive.

In reality, I'm not really in a hurry and don't mind a gradual learning process. I don't want to flail around aimlessly either. So, I plan on visiting the two local clubs. The mission of the clubs, the learning, and the camaraderie are all things that I hope to enjoy with my new hobby.

Thanks again.

SLOwag
09-14-2009, 10:09 AM
...spend it on the water. Fly Fishing is similar to athletic training (ideally it's not competitive though) in that you need to train/fish alone and also train/fish with somebody better than you. Over time you will accumulate more gear than you need so get out there and fish and see what you can live without and gain experience....

Yep, join your local club.

Scott V
09-14-2009, 10:28 AM
One recommendation on a vest, for me the main concern was water, I like to go on long walks in the woods and carrying a bottle around was really a pain. So I made sure that the vest I got has a bladder in it, like a camelback. I drink more water than most people so that was my main concern.

Ed Wahl
09-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Always room for newbie questions around here. We all started out from scratch.

I'm with Slo, if you have limited funds, use it for flies and gas. Nothing teaches like doing.

For trout, we've got tons of good newbie friendly water within 60 miles of here. You're already set up for half pounder steelhead.

We also have tons of opportunities for other fish right here in town. It all counts towards your education. A 5wt and floating line are just fine for now, you just have to get out and use them as much as you can.

If you need some help finding a trout stream to practice on just say the word and we can hook you up.

Ed

Dean Y.
09-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Word! :D

Thanks, Ed.

Feel free to post or PM me if that's more appropriate.

If you need some help finding a trout stream to practice on just say the word and we can hook you up.

Ed

Charlie Gonzales
09-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Hatch Guide for Western Streams. It will give you times of year each bug comes off and a few examples of flies to fish. It helped me out a lot when I was getting started. Kienes has the book.

SteelieD
09-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Like troutbm said with regard to flies... focus on a few tried and true patterns for your most fished water and learn to fish them and develop confidence in them. When I started, I filled my boxes with so many different 'fancy' flies that hardly knew when and where to use them. Now, a few years later, I still go back to the basic patterns far more often than not.

Have fun!

mems
09-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Aloha, welcome to the addictive world of fly fishing. For trout, find a small stream loaded with small trout. Practice nymphing and fishing dries. Learn how to mend and how and when to set the hook. Wet wade and get in the stream. Learn how to handle slippery rocks and to spot fish. If you fish bigger water work on casting first. Get a friend to fish with and it will be twice as much fun. Be careful and don't go over your knees. Learn to read the water. As for equipment, all good suggestions here. Biggest mistake I see new guys make is buying the store. Try and be a minimalist. You don't need a vest if you have a fishing shirt. Get a basic selection of flies and learn to identify the insects and the hatch that is taking place. Spend time on the water, and ask questions. Pay your dues, but plenty of guys will be willing to help. The most important thing is to have fun, and that takes me back to first point. Find a nice small stream loaded with fish and that will be the best teacher there is. Good luck, Mems.

Dabalone
09-14-2009, 05:17 PM
As you can see, just ask and the advice and info will flow, even more than your original question asks, lol. I have already replied but will give you my 2 cents on basic gear which is what you originally asked and I didn't give any input on the question. You have the main things for hitting the water, just need a few more items to get you fishing. Heres a list of a few basic things I think are necessary.

Vest, start out with something inexpensive until you figure what stuff you like to carry, its really not much once you figure what works for you. When you upgrade and you will, its never a loss because you can always pass it on to a friend or kid who likes to fish.
Net

Wading staff, (I have never used one but in fast water good idea)

forceps

needlenose pliers

nail clips or those designed for fishing (nice to have ones with hook eye clearer)

some leader material in different sizes

indicators (for fishing wet flies, very popular way to drift wet flies)

small split shot

pick up some flies, the shop can give info on pattern and size for area and species you will be targeting

Something to hold your flies, soft fly wallets are compact and easy to fit in a pants pocket

dry fly floatant (really irritating trying to fish a dry fly that doesn't float) i like the powder

Good set of polarized glasses

Some way to carry a water bottle

This is about all I need to walk a stream, or fish some stillwater. You can fit all of it in a couple med pockets.

troutbm
09-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Another great thing to invest in are good maps of california, The forest service maps are great. This is a small investment that will be used for years to come. Just looking over maps has opened up alot of water to me. Like mentioned above, Go find a small stream or river with lots of fish.

TaylerW
09-14-2009, 10:21 PM
get good wading shoes for sure. if you like wet wading, check out lighter sandal types. i fell balls over face alot with bad shoes, a good pair of shoes can make the experience alot more enjoyable..!!!!

Terry Thomas
09-15-2009, 07:30 AM
Sales of waist packs have really gone up over the last few years. There are some good products out there at reasonable prices.
Terry

DFrink
09-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Don't forget the shoes, balls over face sucks!

get good wading shoes for sure. if you like wet wading, check out lighter sandal types. i fell balls over face alot with bad shoes, a good pair of shoes can make the experience alot more enjoyable..!!!!

Fochetti
09-15-2009, 05:55 PM
I have not experienced that one fortunately, but balls over face would definitely SUCK.

Ed Wahl
09-15-2009, 07:27 PM
C'mon now guys, you're going to ruin it for him. We've all gone ass over teakettle (the proper term) in trout streams many times. It's a rite of passage.

I personally have gone down with windmilling arms while sliding, while the rock I was standing on rolled away, while staring at the sky and balancing at the same time, on slippery logs god knows how many times. I love the one where the dried out, rotten log you decide to use as a bridge collapsed in the blink on an eye. Then there's the ever popular, 'feet out from underneath and you land on your butt/back. Always good. How about the ' rotten dried out root/branch you were using as a rope breaking on you'?

My absolute favorite, when it's someone else, is the slow motion slide down slick granite into deep water with nothing to reach for. You have plenty of time to think about it and you don't stop until your feet float up off the bottom.

I bet all of you trout fishermen out there have falls that are worth bragging about, don't you.

He's got all the advice, and more, than he needs. Now it's time for him to get experience.

Fall on Dudes,
Ed

Hairstacker
09-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Ed, you forgot the full-on body slam fall . . . you know, the one where your wet boots slide out from under you on a very big, solid boulder and you full-body slam into it like you enjoy getting hit by cars.

Or how about the one where, just as you're taking a step into the creek, some tree roots grab your feet so you can check out the flavor of the local mud.

Then there's the popular one where you take just one more step in the stream to get into an ever-so-slightly better position and you float your hat.

No doubt the list is endless. . . .

Fochetti
09-15-2009, 11:19 PM
I did not mean in any way that I have not experienced all those situations, i just had to comment on the terminology.

troutbm
09-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Falls are funny in hind site but can be pretty scarey stuff. I wade real careful after a fall last summer, felt like I got hit in the head with a hammer. My ears would ring for weeks after that one, Still got the blood soaked hat as a reminder.

SteelieD
09-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Ed, you forgot the full-on body slam fall . . . you know, the one where your wet boots slide out from under you on a very big, solid boulder and you full-body slam into it like you enjoy getting hit by cars.

Oh man, I remember THAT one, my buddy had to drive me home. Last time I cried I believe.

Dean Y.
09-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks for all the input. I plan to get out and fish as much as possible. I have lots to learn. I imagine that I'll have as much fun learning as I do fishing. But, I suppose that you can consider those two one and the same.

I did get a good pair of boots. I hope to minimize the number of falls. However, I suspect that's all a part of fishing :). Hopefully, I'll avoid serious ones at least.

Just curious. Do any of you use some kind of floatation device?