PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Motors

Jay Murakoshi
09-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Just a quick question - how many of you check your trolling motors after going through heavy weeds.
I fished the Forebay yesterday and was having a problem with my first two speeds on my trolling motor. I had to crank it up to the number 5 speed to get power. The prop wouldn't even turn on the first two. I thought my battery was losing power or I'd burned out the two speeds.
This morning, I took off the prop just too check for weeds and found the shaft chocked with weeds and monofilament. So this is what happens when you throw that short tippet section overboard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/DSC_5439.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/DSC_5440.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/DSC_5445.jpg

I guess preventative maintenance helps

Jay

Sorry for the large photo's....my next thing is learning how to make smaller photo's

Scott V
09-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I check my trolling motor almost everytime after I am somewhere that has a lot of weeds. And as you know, be careful removing the blade as to not lose the pin that can and does slide out real easily. I had one fall out once before a tournament and talk about pooping my pants for a minute or so until we found the pin.

Jay Murakoshi
09-11-2009, 01:29 PM
My shear pin needs a little tapping. On my old motor, I busted a shear pin one day beaching the boat. Not paying attention on the shallow water and POP! I carry 3 extra ones taped to my pram but no wrench too change it out - pretty smart, yeah :-(

Jay

Dabalone
09-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Yeah, need to take prop off and check regularly. If you are frequenting heavily fished areas the super line and braid stuff is a real concern. Should pull the prop on your outboards both big and small and check for line also.

ptychocheilus
09-11-2009, 02:31 PM
While somewhat tangential to the original intent of the post, this is one of the best examples I've seen out there why you should clean your gear thoroughly before moving to a different body of water. It sure doesn't take much space to hide a couple of quagga mussel veligers or a sprig of eurasian watermilfoil...

Mike R
09-11-2009, 03:47 PM
On another tangent...nice name Ptychocheilus.

Mike

Ed Wahl
09-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up Jay.

I was just out putting the charger on my battery and popped my prop off for a look. :shock: Had a big ole ball of mono in there.

Ed

briansII
09-14-2009, 10:57 AM
I just cleaned mine on Saturday. The motor was dragging so I took the prop off to check it.....luckily the nut came off with needle nose pliers. The shaft/housing had a ball of weeds on it. Those weeds out there are TOUGH. Took me awhile to get it all cleaned out. My battery died quicker than normal too. I'm thinking the drag on the motor drained the battery faster? For what it's worth, I have the Minkota weedless prop. It works better than the regular prop, but it's not 100% weedless.

briansII

Jay Murakoshi
09-14-2009, 01:26 PM
I also have the weedless prop or at least that what's printed on the prop. I would guess it's weedless if there's no weeds around. I'm looking for a weed guard. It's sort of basket shape and fits over the prop and connects to the housing.
I'll be back over fishing later this week if the weather holds out

Jay