PDA

View Full Version : best floater for a 690-4 tcr?

TaylerW
09-09-2009, 09:26 PM
im trying to find the best line for my new tcr, its a super stiff rod, and ive been looking at the rio outbound short, in a 7, so itl be 1.5 over, or whatever is the general consensus as long as its not a SA product..

thanks

la

OceanSunfish
09-09-2009, 11:24 PM
I've thrown, with comfort, a 250 grain shooting head with that exact rod. That rod is not as stiff in hand with it strung up too. The 697-4 TCR is an even better casting rod, if that's possible.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-10-2009, 08:27 AM
I guess it depends on what different kinds of fishing you are going to do with it?

TaylerW
09-10-2009, 09:23 AM
strippers bass and steelies

briansII
09-10-2009, 11:01 AM
If you go with the Outbound Short, get the one rated for a 6wt. It's already uplined, and will load the TCR just fine. I just picked up the same rod. I test cast it with a 6wt, Rio Grand(1/2 weight heavier). It was fine for me, but I rarely "upline" a rod when using a floating line. For stripers and bass i'd get the Outbound Short. I would not use the OB Short for steelhead. The running line is very thin, and would be difficult to mend.

briansII

pvsprme
09-11-2009, 08:47 AM
If you go with the Outbound Short, get the one rated for a 6wt. It's already uplined, and will load the TCR just fine. I just picked up the same rod. I test cast it with a 6wt, Rio Grand(1/2 weight heavier). It was fine for me, but I rarely "upline" a rod when using a floating line. For stripers and bass i'd get the Outbound Short. I would not use the OB Short for steelhead. The running line is very thin, and would be difficult to mend.

briansII

I agree; apples & oranges in the sense of intended use. I'm not familiar with the OB, but IMHO, for steelhead it's hard to beat the Steelhead line by Rio or SA. I overlined my 6 weight 9' G.Loomis Streamdance GLX-HLS with a Rio 7 weight and it is sweet! Roll casts and mends beautifully. Should work on your TCR as well.

Rick J
09-11-2009, 12:07 PM
The OB might be ok even for steelhead - it is actually not that tough to mend lines with fine diameter running lines when swinging- though they are not easy to stack mend but folks mend lines even with mono running lines - alot of the spey set ups with skagit lines are essentially shooting heads that you can mend generally as far as you want to cast and fish