PDA

View Full Version : Rogue River Swinging Flies

Willisbrow
09-08-2009, 02:06 AM
im heading off to the rogue in a few days and was wondering what kind of flies anyone has success with? Ive never been there but what i can find out online is things like brindle bugs, mossback, assassins like klamath flies maybe some little bunny leaches? What are you guys using up there and what flies are catching fish for u.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks Will

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I think the "Red Ant" is a popular pattern for swinging on the Rogue.

Probably any dark classic winged fly too in size 8.

jbird
09-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Bills right.

Black flies tied sparse with a contrasting tag butt. A little black crystalflash goes a long ways on a black pattern.

I have done well on a fly known as a black magic. Its much like a skunk but with a couple turns of red floss for a tag rather than a green butt. Its got black deer hair wing with a couple strands of black CF. A sparse black saddle collar and thats about it. I do rib it with silver tinsel and the body is just black chenille. A cool variation is to sub the black color with red. This fly is killer in low light.

I also am never without an assortment of egg sucking leeches.

Willisbrow
09-09-2009, 04:40 PM
thanks for the info i will post some pics if im lucky enough to get 1. I tied up some size 8s red tail red butt black body silver tinsel and a black wing. hope they work. thanks again

Steelhead Guide
09-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Hey, if your serious about fishing the rouge there is only one place that has all the knowledge and flies you will need. Trophy waters fly fishing shop on Grape and 8th street in medford, Todd has the best fly shop in the southern part of the state.
Promise.

Rick J
09-15-2009, 07:17 AM
I have done well with a copper bead moss back

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/RickJ/DSCN0022.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-15-2009, 09:15 AM
I talked with Rogue River local Al Perryman and he said that most sparse tied traditional flies work for him in size #6.

Time of day and location is probably more important.

The only problem I see with the upper Rogue River is that in October the water can be around 50 degrees or less which is pretty cold for swinging flies especially on a floating line. More fly fishers do deep nymphing on the river at that time.

Steelhead Guide
09-15-2009, 10:15 AM
popular flies are the septober soft hackle, agent orange, october fat ass and Todd's version of the kaufmans stone.