PDA

View Full Version : TFO TiCrX

JFarm
09-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the conversion kit for this rod?? I have never used a two handed rod, what advantages would that bring? The kit I'm referring to is a butt section that turns a 9' rod into 11'9" two handed.

David Lee
09-07-2009, 07:29 AM
I've been wondering the same thing .

I have the TiCr 12 foot 12 wt. , pretty sure both were designed for overhead casting - anyone know the grain window for the TiCrX conversion (both the 7 wt. and 8 wt.) ??

David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-07-2009, 08:03 AM
We have that conversion kit in stock so I will have to get the guys to take it down to the river and cast it with some different lines.

David Lee
09-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks Bill !

D.~

Flycanoe
09-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Seriously looked into the 7wt with conversion kit a while back. Talked to a company rep about it who recommends up lining by 2wts with conversion kit on. Casted both setups, standard rod with 7wt line and conversion kit with 9wt line.

Initially thought this was a great way to get 2 rods in one for steelheading. But bottom line for me was that I didn't like the rod at all with the conversion kit on. It felt heavy in the hand and was a very stiff and fast requiring quite a bit of adjustment and practice with casting stroke/timing.

After that I tried a switch rod, loved it and haven't looked back since.

David Lee
09-07-2009, 01:19 PM
As chance would have it .....

Wandered down to Kienes a few hours ago to see what was left on the three-day sale (right .... I NEED anything ?!?) - had BK set-up the 7 wt. conversion w/ a #9 floater . Also ran into Guppy there and took the rod outside for a spin .

Holy crap !

Light , lively and quick . Single-handable (yup , did it just to see ...) , and near-weightless . In my hands .... ANY floating line over 7 wt. is unpleasant in the wind (blowing a bit from the wrong side today) - this stick BOMBED out that 9 like it was nothin' . Gup picked it up and shot 100+ feet three or four times in a row . I think perhaps he liked it a little ....

I would like to use it on the American for Stripers , or the beach in Baja . Plenty of grunt in the butt , fast without being bossy , and really light . Sweet rod !

David

jbird
09-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Ive had the conversion for my 8wt for a couple years. I think its a better overhand casting rod than a 2 handed "switch". It actually works quite well as a switch but I prefer a slightly slower rod for that type of fishing. I do not consider the 8wt with the conversion to be a realistic singlehanded rod. It is a LOT of rod. A 10wt grain widow loads it well.

Its a canon with heads and used overhead for surf/distance casting.

Also the rod is 11'3 not 11'9

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Right on 'Jbird',

We were overhead casting with it and that is what David wants it for.

Lower American River Stripers while wading and off the beach in the saltwater.

JFarm
09-07-2009, 10:50 PM
cool, thanks for the info. i have an 8 wt. that i use for striper and surf. have alot to learn and have nothing but time!!!