PDA

View Full Version : Hot Glue or EZ Shape?

Bjorn
09-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Anyone try Hot Glue or EZ Shape instead of Epoxy? Is that stuff as dense? Will it sink as well?

Having a little toddler around the house, I'm not really keen on having epoxy around. Any tips appreciated.

Bjorn

Darian
09-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Try UV Knot Sense instead of Epoxy. E-Z Shape works well as does hot glue.
However, they're really for differing purposes. :nod:

your post suggests that you allow you toddler to be close to your tying area/activities/materials. :-s IMHO, that's not a good idea. No adhesive/solvent is safe for a toddler to get in to or ingest. Secure your stuff and' if you must use it in the house, make sure your toddler is not in danger of coming in contact with it or the fumes. 8-)

Bjorn
09-05-2009, 12:58 PM
She's not around any of my fly tying stuff and I don't even tie when she's awake at this point. I just don't like how toxic epoxy seems to be... for her or for me.

For this application I'm looking to make some bonefish biters. Given that, is there one alternative that makes more sense than another?

B-

Darian
09-06-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't tie Bonefish Bitters, myself. However, the pattern originator uses epoxy. A couple of tyers use hot glue. UV Knot Sense will work fine, set-up quickly and dries clear. I've not seen anyone using E-Z Shape and it isn't very durable IMHO. You can add sparkle to epoxy, hot glue or UV Knot Sense if you wish. :cool:

I tie Sea Habit style patterns using epoxy and have used E-Z Shape to add flash on the top of the heads. I've noticed that E-Z Shape sometimes flakes off after some usage or taking a hit. It may be that E-Z Shape doesn't bond well with epoxy, tho. I've never used it by itself.... :confused:

All of these adhesives will give off some amount of toxic fumes during use. Be sure to circulate the air in you work area well.... :cool:

Post a photo of your pattern when you're done.... :nod:

Bjorn
09-06-2009, 10:56 AM
I tied a couple with hot glue last night... wow are they bad... just can't get it smooth or uniform... lots of work to do... LOTS of work. When I get them sorted though, I'll post a pic.

B-

PaulC
09-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Hey Bjorn,
I've used EZshape on clousers before.
I don't pull the white bucktail over the eyes and stop short to avoid that section fraying in the sand.
I used to cover the dumbells with ezshape and then coat with hard as nails.
Like Darian points out, it still is not as durable as epoxy.
They would tend to fall apart after a hard day in the surf.

I rarely use epoxy anymore and use Tuffleye instead.
A bit more expensive but you can add it in then zap with the light, add more zap, etc.
The coastal fog was killing me with using UV knotsense and relying on the sun to cure.
Less mess for a little one to get into compared to my mixing on post it notes and a drying wheel.
It stays clear over time and you can put the tube out of reach when you are not using it.
I use that now on clousers and use a white/pearl colored clear as nails as an overcoat to get the right coloring instead of clear.

Our son is 2.5 years now. I think you're little one is close in age if I recall correctly.
Just keep it outta reach and you'll be fine regardless of the solution you end up with.
I found familiarizing our son with my tying equipment and what was dangerous has helped keep him away from bad stuff.
Plus you come up with some pretty funky patterns when the little one is telling you what to tie on next:)
-Paul

Darian
09-06-2009, 10:13 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And I thought I was the only one who tied up funky patterns at the suggestion of my kidlet.... 8) Your post made me dig up some of the first flies my son tied at a young age.... No rhyme or reason to the choice of materials, etc., but I still enjoy lookin' at 'em. 8) 8)

Anotehr vote for Tuffleye, too. :D :D :D

Bjorn
09-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks Paul, I'll look into that... another good suggestion.

Yeah, my little girl is just over 2.5... doing great. I don't tie while she's awake, although she has seen the flies and asks to look at them from time to time... we've already discussed how flies have sharp points and we have to be careful. Of course, don't leave them where she can get them. First child, so, ya know... paranoid about everything.

Thanks!

PaulC
09-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Hey Bjorn,
It can be fun tying with the little ones as they are really curious at this age.
Mine knows the vise by itself is safe if there is no hook in it.
Here's a few shots of him a year or so ago playing with the vise.
Putting imaginary material into the vise and being a ham.
He's our first one as well, so I hear you about being paranoid.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/Daius_Collagecopy.jpg

jbird
09-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Priceless photos Paul!! My son is almost 16 and what sparks his curiousity the LEAST, is anything that has to do with his parents. :lol: Enjoy it while it lasts! :lol:

I love hot glue. I use it for a million different projects around the house and work. I would love to encorperate into fly tying. I have made those glue eggs in the past but that doesent require much sculpting. If the hot glue came out thinner and without that stretchy, stringy, hairy stuff it would be alot more possible to apply to hardhead type fly patterns.
The beauty of epoxy is you can mix color of glitter or both into it before applying to the fly. Is this possible with tuffleye?

Darian
09-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Paul,.... The last photo with your son looking thru the magnifiers is really funny. :lol: :lol:

Jay,.... Believe or not, your sons brain will turn back on around age 22 and he'll probably start showing more interest in your activities. Mine's 32 and we have a great time fishing together (at least I do). :nod:

IMHO, UV KNot Sense and Tuffleye are very similar in use. I've added sparkle to UV Knot Sense before using the UV light or sunlight on it. Mixes well. Proportions are the tough part for me. You need some volume to add sparkle to. So, at least half a dozen flies would be best. :) I wouldn't attempt it on a single fly (at a time), tho. :confused:

The biggest objection to using UV Knot Sense as opposed to epoxy is the expense of the former. :-|

I've never used Tuffleye. :cool:

Bjorn
09-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Love the pictures... good stuff. I don't have a good tying area, so I just put the vice on a piece of plywood that I can move out of reach when she's awake.

It sure has been fun so far with Anna... we play bonefishing guide where I sit up on one end of the couch and tell her where to "cast' and she reels in a fish, we look at it and she lets it go. It will break my heart when she no longer plays these silly games.

I'm just getting into tying for bonefish... I have a pretty intense fixation at the moment on them and am tired of tying Gotcha's, hence my search for an epoxy substitute. Thanks for all the great advice.

B-

PaulC
09-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey Bjorn,
I've never tied this pattern before, but here's one with tuffleye.
Skipped the zlon shuck or tail. I just coated the head with a little bit of olive marker then put another coat on top of it.
Still not very opaque, but you could probably do some mixing to get there.
Seems like a nice fast tie fly.
-Paul
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/IMGP0120.jpg

Bjorn
09-08-2009, 07:30 AM
That looks great Paul! Do you have to buy that stuff direct or is it available at fly shops? Do you put it all on at once or but a bit on, harden it and then add more?

I just ended up tying some crazy leg gotcha's last night... tight until I ran out of #6's. My order of salt hooks is coming in tomorrow.

At this point, I'm going to have about 80-120 bonefish flies for a trip that isn't even booked yet!

B-

PaulC
09-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Hey Bjorn,
Quite a few shops carry the stuff now along with the light to cure it.
Bill may stock it at his shop?
It cures in about 10-15 seconds.
I use it for most surf flies, even large FPF style baitfish flies on 6/0's, etc.
I primarily use the core as it is a thicker more viscous material to work with and won't sag on you.
Depending on the fly I may put a couple coats and zap to get the right look/shape.

The only thing a bit odd with this stuff is it has a kind of tacky sticky layer that helps successive layers bond completely to each other.
You have to remove it with a quick wipe of isopropyl alcohol when done with the fly.

It is more expensive, but the lack of mess and quick results keeps me using it.
Sounds like you have some fun tying ahead of you:)
-Paul

Bjorn
09-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks Paul, I'll look into it for sure. If I can make it down to Bill's I'll do that. I'm up in Placerville and have a 2.5 year old with me most of the time... makes trips to Sacto infrequent.

I am enjoying tying up the bonefish patterns... I call them aspirational patterns... as in, I aspire to be somewhere I can use them. ;-)

I really should be tying up Eng Thengs... but alas... I'm not.