PDA

View Full Version : Secret Spots....

Darian
09-04-2009, 11:49 AM
In a brief follow-up on the "Just A Rant" thread further down this forum, there's an article in the latest issue of Sacramento News & Review (an alternative publication - rag) that says the National Geographic Society is producing something called the MapGuide of the Sierra Nevada region. :-k

This is a geotourism effort and will list all of the spots provided thru input from the public. These "MapGuides combine elements of 'best of' awards with a concept known as geotourism--defined by National Geographic as 'tourism that sustains or enhances the geographical character of a place."

Locations to be included will be "....nominated...." by public input. Some items that could be included might be, "....art galleries, restaurants, hiking trails and even cemeteries." Check it out at:

www.sierranevadageotourism.org

This website permits us to nominate our own favorite places for inclusion or those of people you may not like.... ;)

I'm a user of TOPO (a topographic software product by NGS) and am able to add my own points of interest but this product will list those nominated for all of us that won't do their own searches. At any rate, how long does anyone think our secret places will remain that way much longer :question: :question:

wjorg
09-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Shoot me now

Ed Wahl
09-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Shoot National Geographic now.