PDA

View Full Version : Monterrey Bay

ted1
09-01-2009, 09:17 PM
I'll be heading down to visit a friend in the navy probably the end of september for a sat/sun. I've got a 6 wt and am building an 8 wt. Probably going to experiment with the surf, but might rent a few kayaks. Any suggestions on specific species to target or areas to hit? Sharks? Surf striper? Flies? We will probably be more on the Monterrey/Pacifica side, but could go anywhere from Seaside to Carmel.

huntindog
09-02-2009, 09:44 AM
i have fly fished the area immediately north of the commercial fishing pier. If there is bait moving around in there you never know what you will catch. There is a large, shallow flat area there that fish seem to hang out in. It is easy wading. I have caught halibut, flounder and even a small steelhead there. I will be there this weekend and will have my fly rod with me. Takin some big zonkers and some other chuck and duck type flies. Cool thing about the ocean...you never know what you might get.

Jay Murakoshi
09-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Ted,

If you're staying in the monterey/seaside area, you could fish from the sewer plant in Seaside to the hotel on the beach. If you head towards carmel, I would stop and try the Asilomar beach area.
Carmel Beach, I would try at the end of Ocean Ave. Walk down to the water edge, turn right and head towards the PB area.

September is not the greatest time but if you're there, fish.

Good luck

Jay