PDA

View Full Version : line weight for boo?

jbird
09-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I laid a floor for a nice ole lady (widow) her late husband was apparently a hardcore flyfisherman/flytier/rod builder. She asked me if Id like a fly rod!! She gave me a bamboo rod that her husband had built. I dont know anything about boo. How can I know what weight line to string on her?

Hairstacker
09-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Jay, just wanted to say, "Congratulations!!" Always fun to get a new toy, especially something different like that.

I don't know the answer to your question but hopefully those who do will pipe in.

If it were me, I would presume the guy followed a conventional approach. That is, if it is less than 7' long, I would assume he had built a midge stick and I would simply try it out with a 2 or 3 wt. line and see how well it likes it.

If it is betwen 7' and 8' long, I would try a 4 wt. line, then a 5 wt. line if I thought it would load better, expecting it to have a somewhat slow action.

In summary, I would start light and then move up until I felt I had hit the sweet spot. Anyway, that's how I would approach it absent any sage advice from a cane addict.

David Lee
09-01-2009, 02:30 PM
28 feet of LC-13 .

Works on EVERY rod !! Don't forget to wear your helmet and flak jacket .....

(Mike's correct - try a 4 to start with ..... congrats , BTW !)

David

jbird
09-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks guys! The rod is 9'. Its pretty heavy and has a lovely loooooong waggle to it. Its got a downlocking reel seat which Ive never had before. Has a pretty stout butt section, Im thinking I should start with a 6 line??? whadaya think? Or 28' of LC? :-)

I thought it was a four peice at first but it has 2 tips.

Darian
09-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Jay,... Great rod. Slow action and natural dampening. Should be fun to cast/fish.... :nod: :nod:

No markings on the rod at all :?: :?: Since you know the person who gave it to you, ask her if she has the reel/line that her husband used on it. If she still has it, ask if you could take it and weigh the first 30' of the line (then return the reel/line :lol:). Otherwise, you idea is as good as anyones.... :confused:

jbird
09-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Darian.
The only inscription on the rod is "WELLS" Which was the gentlemans last name. Elaine said she had allready sold or given away most all of his gear. She did ask me if I wanted his hand tied flies and I graciously declined. Probably a mistake...DOH!!!
I put it together and its not straight like a "tupperware" rod, it kinda wanders a tad at the ferrels. Pretty classic!

Also, I dont think this rod has ever been strung. The cork is perfectly pristine!

oldtrout
09-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys! The rod is 9'. Its pretty heavy and has a lovely loooooong waggle to it. Its got a downlocking reel seat which Ive never had before. Has a pretty stout butt section, Im thinking I should start with a 6 line??? whadaya think? Or 28' of LC? :-)

I thought it was a four peice at first but it has 2 tips.

Yes, start with a 6! Slow down your stroke, the rod will let you know, but you may want to watch the backcast straighten out at first until you get the timing down. Slow stroke back, wait, wait, and wait some more, then slow stroke forward.

Darian
09-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Jay,.... If the ferrules are loose, they might be the problem with the wandering look of the rod. If not, it sounds this rod is really "hand made." :cool:

Paul B.
09-01-2009, 08:44 PM
I was going to make a suggestion but after looking at Jbird's photo I forgot what I was going to say!
PB

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi Jbird

I have to say that you are looking marvelous.

BobVP
09-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I was somewhat tempted to chime in but resisted....until Bill's comment.....

So jbird, how can you write the words "..heavy butt section..." and still have that photo up?

Seriously, I have used bamboo for more than 40 years and I suggest (as other have) starting light and working up. Hopefully the reel seat isn't one of those ancient small ones and your reels will fit nicely. At nine feet it is a little more likely the rod is at least a five and that is not a bad place to start.

I did a small job for someone a few years back and he gave me a his father's copy of G.E.M. Skues' book, "The Way of a Trout With a Fly" (Fourth edition). The first definitive treatise on using nymphs! It is good enough to feel we do good work but then to be rewarded by such nice gestures is just wonderful. (I think that was a floor too!) When I found out what the book was worth (for insurance purposes) I offered it back but the man said he thought that a flyfisher should have it.

Nip Hadlock
09-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Jbird,
The gang over here will likely have some great advice:

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

Nip

Fochetti
09-03-2009, 11:45 PM
J-Bird I am a novice when it comes to bamboo, however I have purchased two lately and love fishing with them. You are in for a definite treat.

I would just get a bunch of lines and tapers to play with. One of my rods is a 7' 4wt however after playing with it a superfine orvis 5wt felt best.

I regards to the rod not being perfectly straight, it might be fixable. I was told by someone who knows a lot about boo that you can straighten them out by heating them with steam? and straightening.

John