PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota ST Vs SP saltwalter Trolling Motors...

Flys4b8
08-31-2009, 03:16 PM
There is a significant price different between the Minn Kota ST and SP Riptide Trolling motors. The differences seem similar to the Power Drive Vs the Terra Nova in the non-saltwater versions.

Basic differences: Co-pilot key fob has two more buttons (all off, & full throttle..or how to knock your buddy to the bottom of the boat or river/lake! [-X), digital autopilot (as opposed to a analog/bubble unit) and a different deployment /storage set up. I had a PowerDrive before and it would often 'stick' and make deployment difficult.

Has anyone had experience with either or both? :confused:
Is the difference in price worth it?

OceanSunfish
08-31-2009, 05:22 PM
The biggest knock I've ever had with the various MK Power Drive type motors is with their deployment design. If the latest and greatest has a vastly improved motor deployment systen, then I surmise it's worth the extra $$$.

I resorted to replacing the two plastic trays that the motor sits on in favor of smaller ones I got from the local MK repair shop and it has helped some, but the motor still gets stuck.

I usually don't even place the motor on the tray so that it click in place anymore when I'm running a short distance.

Otherwise, the MKs are great!

TomV
07-20-2010, 06:13 AM
I just picked up a used North River Commander and I need a bow mounted trolling motor. The 80 Lb thrust in the ST sounds correct, but what else sould I know? How does i-Pilot compare with Autopilot and is it worth the extra $ ?

Is it hard to rig or are there good reccomendations for who to use in the Bay Area to Sac?

briansII
07-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Hey Mike. I don't know anything about the Riptides, but looking at Minkota's site, I wonder how both models deploy. They have some nifty thing called a "assist lever". It looks like a glorified lever that I have on my old PowerDrive(non V2). Having to bend over and deploy, then pull UP that style of motor gets really old, really fast. I have lessened the stickiness a bit by lightly sanding the shaft with ultrafine sandpaper. Also keep a silicone spray close by, and use it throughout the day. Still, it's literally a pain in the neck.....back, and arms. That alone has me looking at Motorguide motors. Also, I will need to buy my second Autopilot board, before the fall season. The current, one year old board, is not functioning correctly.....again.

Hope we see you out there this year.

briansII

waynesyn
07-20-2010, 02:03 PM
I have used the MK Powerdrive with Autopilot and CoPilot. Nice unit but then upgraded to the Terrova with AutoPilot and Copilot. The Terrova deploys MUCH easier than the Powerdrive. I just upgraded my Terrova with the iPilot and I've fished with it 4 days so far and love it. The anchoring feature is worth the upgrade alone. I also have a Riptide and that thing deploys terrible. I always have trouble with deploying and raising it.

You should decide if the iPilot is right for you BEFORE you purchase your motor because it is a lot less expensive to buy the motor with the iPilot already installed than to upgrade later.

For fly fishing the iPilot OR the AutoPilot/CoPilot is a must.

Good luck on your purchase.

ErikB
07-20-2010, 09:51 PM
I have a North River Commander and mounted the Minn Kota Auto Pilot Power Drive unit with the 24 volt system. I have been satisfied with the performance but I beleive they have made improvements since 2005. As far as installation goes I have used Sunnys Electric for several projects and he has always done a very good job. One word of advice is too always charge your batteries right after every use and get an onboard charger to make the job even easier and get the best batteries you can afford.

OceanSunfish
07-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I have used the MK Powerdrive with Autopilot and CoPilot. Nice unit but then upgraded to the Terrova with AutoPilot and Copilot. The Terrova deploys MUCH easier than the Powerdrive. I just upgraded my Terrova with the iPilot and I've fished with it 4 days so far and love it. The anchoring feature is worth the upgrade alone. I also have a Riptide and that thing deploys terrible. I always have trouble with deploying and raising it.

You should decide if the iPilot is right for you BEFORE you purchase your motor because it is a lot less expensive to buy the motor with the iPilot already installed than to upgrade later.

I always try to keep up with the latest stuff...... The "anchoring" feature is priceless and I would love to have that feature on my Riptide alone..... I love my little boat, but sadly, I'm at the point where a new TM Terrova with iPilot, Lowrance HD GPS/Sonar, and other great new stuff is just silly considering the hull that all of this stuff will go on.... I think "fuzzy dice" hanging from the CC windshield would fit in better for now.... <grin>

I really should have a longer and wider hull to fish and boat safely from.....

briansII
07-21-2010, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback Wayne. It's nice to hear good things from the consumer end. I've read some from the MinnKota site, and iPilot sounds VERY appealing to me. Glade to hear the Terrova deployment and stow are easier than the old PDs. By the end of this year, my back may make my decision easier. :-)

briansII