PDA

View Full Version : September? It's still usually hot.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Well it's still usually hot in September but it is normally cooling off at night, especially in the higher elevations.

After being in the business for many years the opportunities I see in September are:

1) The Pit River, with hopefully the Isonychia mayflies hatching mid-day.

2) Half-pounder Steelheading in many long rivers. This is many local Valley rivers and the lower Klamath and lower Rogue Rivers. Early and late in the day is best.

Sadly lots of other fisheries just don't take off in September but do usually turn on in October with more cooling weather.

I think the Crowley Lake does get going in September too.

I hear the Delta is starting for top water action.

We have Half-pounder Steelhead and Stripers in the Lower American River now.

What are your favorite fisheries in September?

matt johnson
08-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Bill,

September is a great month for wading on the flats/big riffles in the evening on the Lower Sac. The flows are dropping and the caddis are still going strong. I like to swing an emerger pattern on a floating line (I like a soft hackle hare's ear). It is just like fishing for 1/2pounders.

September is also my favorite month for chasing Smallmouth Bass in the Valley creeks! The algae starts to die back making fly presentation less of a headache. With the cool nights, those shrunken, isolated creek pools experience big swings in temperature. I believe this "revs up" fish metabolism. This time of year the tadpoles have turned into frogs and there are also lots of big grasshoppers around so it is the perfect time for topwater!

Probably the best thing about September is that it is almost October!! Matt.

troutbm
09-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Been fishing a sierra trout water every single weekend and several multidays since the opener. Its has not slowed a bit since day 1. Theres plenty of water coming down still, temps have been decent. So just pick a spot and go fishing.

Dabalone
09-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Sept also signals the start of hunting seasons for many game animals and birds. Hunting tends to thin out the fishing population a bit and if you are both hunter and fisherman, Sept. and Oct. can make for some hard decisions on what to pursue.