PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davis Improvements

Troutstalker55B
08-29-2009, 11:53 AM
The west side road / chip seal project is completed and they did an outstanding job! Deep culverts, and drainage piping was also added. Even better the “new” Camp 5 puts Honker Cove to shame. There are now benches, picnic tables, more bathrooms, more parking, and a better boat ramp. They really took it to the next level. I would like to thank Bob Baiocchi of the California Salmon and Steelhead Association for his relentless work to give the public what they deserve with the improvements on Lake Davis, and I quote him “I’m not done yet!”

Were about 3 weeks away before the “Fall Gorge” starts, some select few trees are just starting to turn color, and the mornings are getting a bit colder.

JB

luckyt
08-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Thank you for the info...is the road paved now all the way to the new ramp and will the ramp still be useable at the upcoming lower lake levels? Honker Cove was becoming difficult to launch even an 18 foot boat last fall at lake elevation 5761 feet. Thanks for any info...Tom

Troutstalker55B
08-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Tom,

The road is paved all the way to the ramp. The Camp 5 ramp is in better shape than Honker in my opinion, at least your trailer is level where as Honker it is not. I own a tracker and the trailer is a drive on, and if that trailer is not level I need another hand to keep the boat in the middle while loading - It sucks! Now we need people to use the Camp 5 ramp and bust up the weeds heading out to the lake - It's thick. The dock is not in the water though so that could be a factor as well. I've always liked Camp 5, it's much more protected than Honker - All we need now is some water!

JB

luckyt
08-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the info...I have a jet sled so running through the weeds is a no go....I can still use the electric....maybe see you up there...Tom

Dabalone
08-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the report. Are the fish still infested with parasites, how are they looking now?

jayclarkflyfishing
08-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Jonny
The "gorge" has started.

Dablone-
Some of the fish have copepods still but a lot of them are very clean and hard fighting.

Jay

Troutstalker55B
08-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks Jay! As soon as I get this macroinvertebrate job done I'll hit up the lake - Midweek.

JB

jayclarkflyfishing
09-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Got blown off early today but had great fishing until it was too rough.Sheep Creeks were the ticket.

betty
09-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Are folks who want to float tube from Camp 5 area being charged to park in that area? I seem to remember some signs that appeared last season that seemed to indicate that it had become a fee area. Any info on this?? Thanks
Betty

Troutstalker55B
09-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Betty,

Yep, 5 bucks a day for camp 5, Honker, and Mallard Cove. $30 for a season pass and a great deal if you buy it in May. I plan on posting some improvement pics on my blog in the am, They did such a great job! Just go to Jenkins, more productive water there anyways.

JB

jayclarkflyfishing
09-08-2009, 07:04 AM
All campgrounds at the lake will be closed as of today except for lightning tree which will remain open for the rest of the season.

I agree with Jon to a point.The fish at Jenkins have been smaller than at Camp 5,but there are more of them.

The facilities at Camp 5 are very nice.The road in is a vast improvement.

See you on the water!

Jay