PDA

View Full Version : line recommendations ?

Cal
08-29-2009, 02:05 AM
Looking for a short head line for throwing good sized deer hair bugs. I noticed that the Royal Wulff Triangle taper has a head that is 27 ft. Anybody fish with this line ? What do you think of it ?

Most of my bass lines have 35 ft or longer heads, but I do a lot of close in fishing from my float tube and do not need to be 53 ft away from my target (line head + rod + leader length). I was thinking of overlining my rod by at least one size with the Triangle Taper and cutting off 3 to 5 feet of the tip by tuning it a foot at a time.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks.

Darian
08-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Not an expert but it seems to me that cutting back on the front end of a triangle (progressive) taper line defeats the purpose of the triangle taper line.... :confused: Essentially, this line is one side of a double taper; not known for use in casting heavy bugs (doesn't mean it can't be used for that purpose, tho). :neutral:

IMHO, making shorter casts with larger bugs can be accomplished better using a weight forward (WF) line. Since there're varied tapers among WF lines lines out there that accomplish the same thing you want to do, why not just buy one of those :question: :question:

Hairstacker
08-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Brian, what model and wt. rod did you have in mind?

Cal
08-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Mike,

Primarily fish for bass with Sage 890 RPL, although I am fishing more often recently with a few older glass rods, Hardy Jon Tarantino 9' 8wt, Browning Silaflex 8'6" 8 wt and a really old Wonderod 8'6" 7 wt.

A friend of mine built a line with properties that I am looking for. He took a 10 wt tropical saltwater line he used for snook, cut off the first 5 ft and then made a 20 ft head which he attached to a regular .030" coated running line. Some work to make, but it really turns over big bugs and is great for close in work and you can shoot it if you need to. I am also thinking of fooling around some of my compact skagit butts as bass heads.

The bass tapers that I already own work fine, but are really best for longer casts, say 50-60 ft. I find that a lot of my bassing is closer in than that and a shorter head that loads up well would be a benefit.

Darrin.Deel
08-29-2009, 01:18 PM
check out the scientific anglers magnum sharkskin taper

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-29-2009, 03:37 PM
We now standardly over-line 2 line sizes for top water bass fishing with big bugs.

Captain Kevin Doran has over-lined 3 sizes by putting a WF10F Saltwater line on his old Sage XP 9' #7 - 4pc rod.

Some lines that should work on most 8 weights:

Sage LMB line = 330 grns

Rio Outbound Short (30') coldwater #8 = 315 grns (already over-lined 2 sizes)

WF10F Saltwater line ~ 300 grns (I think we might have some on sale?)

**Rio Outbound lines are already over-lined 2 sizes.

Dabalone
08-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Most of my casting is short for bass, the sage bass taper works great for me, lot of weight up front on that one. If I need the longer cast it will do that also. Have it on my 9 wt. for top water stripers but find myself using it in the thick stuff for bass.

Hogan Brown
08-30-2009, 07:38 AM
My two favorite lines for throwing big bass or striper top water bugs are the SA Sharkskin Magnum for longer distance and the SA Pike line for closer in. The Pike is a great line and really under appreciated as a top water, big fly, bass line.

Terry Thomas
08-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Brian,
Have fished the Rio Outbound Short for a full season now and am very happy with the performance. Worked great last year down at El Salto throwing some pretty big bugs. They are already uplined to fit the rod.
Terry

Sturmer White
08-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Brian
You make it a little tough when you want to use four different rods and three different weight rods for one line.
My rods are fairly fast nine footers. I use the Rio Outbound short for both stripers and pond bass.
The 375 gr. 9wt. line works the best on the 7wt. rod and does a good job with stripers big poppers on my 8wt. rod. It seems a little light on my 9wt. rod.
The truth is I wish I had a 10wt. line for my 9wt. rod.
I think your best bet is to take your rods to Bill's and try some lines. Take an old bass hair bug and cut the hook off and go have some fun.
Good luck with your search.
If they don't have any for trying, Write me and you can play with mine.
Sturm

Cal
09-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all the line recommendations, you have been a great help.