PDA

View Full Version : Airline Travel

koffler
08-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Heading out to Wyoming in 2 weeks - I got a bow tag for a cow moose but after we shoot it and hang it I'm off to the BigHorn for a few days of fishing before I have to come back and butcher her. Anyone familiar with regulations for rods and flies for domestic flights? I'd prefer to carry them on. This is in annual trip; I've only flown a few times as we typically drive. If anyone has any insights I'd appreciate it.

Jason

Darian
08-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Each airline has a section on their websites that tell you what the baggage restrictions and charges are. In addition, you should look for the TSA requirements on their website. Supposedly, there've been a couple of recent changes. Checking in with Keith Kaneko (Angling On The Fly travel) is probably a good idea. :nod:

I've had no trouble carrying on multiple rods in a single rod tube. With the exception of personal items, almost everything else is probably going to have to be packed in check in luggage. :) :)

Jet
08-29-2009, 08:44 AM
I have not had any issues when flying to Alaska. We carried on two mutiple rod tubes, all our reels w/lines and Flies (100's). Left forcepts and other tools in the checked baggage. We just flew a few weeks ago and did not have any issue. I did how ever forget about the tiny blade on my money clip and they allowed me to keep it if I broke the blade off. I think you should be OK because the x-ray operator does not know your destination, they just screen the stuff. I also never had them ask to look inside my bag. I also had my GPS and camera in the bag with my reels.

Jet