PDA

View Full Version : patching leaky waders

jbird
08-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Have you ever used household 100% clear silicone to seal a leaky seam? It smells, feels and acts just like aquaseal. But its infinitly cheaper.

Dave Neal
08-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Whoa... I'm sorry jbird, did you say something?

SHigSpeed
08-28-2009, 04:34 PM
I've been seeing that avatar for a while at the other place. You boys are so easily distracted. :)

No, I stick with Aquaseal. It cures much "harder/tougher" than silicone and probably sticks better as well. Cures more like urethane vs. "rubber". For $10 I'd be willing to pay a bit more than risk the hassle of doing it twice (or more).

Extremely durable stuff.

_SHig

SHigSpeed
08-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Whoa... I'm sorry jbird, did you say something?

Heh, just thought of something...

"Nice fighting butt!"

Okay, I'm not immune to immaturity. :)

_SHig

Ed Wahl
08-28-2009, 06:02 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol:

Shig you're killin me.

My vote for best avatar ever also goes to Jay.

Ed

BTW, here's a thread from last year that dealt with the leaky wader problem. I believe we solved it.

http://kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?p=55889#post55889

jbird
08-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Ed. Altho that is a great, entertaining thread, I already found the leak, now I wanna fix it. :lol:

I have actually used silicone with great success in years past. I just checked my garage and both my aqua seal and silicone have "expired" so I thought Id run it by yall before I went out and bought one or the other....and give you boys another chance to see the avatar :-)

Ed Wahl
08-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Jay, why don't you just do your posting one word at a time from now on?:D

I've still got an old pair of neoprenes that I patched with aquaseal so many times the ass part looks like a leopard pattern.

And they still keep me dry, when I need to use neoprene.

Ed

SHigSpeed
08-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Jay, why don't you just do your posting one word at a time from now on?:D

I've still got an old pair of neoprenes that I patched with aquaseal so many times the ass part looks like a leopard pattern.

And they still keep me dry, when I need to use neoprene.

Ed

Stop hooking yourself in the ass then! Or is there another story here?

I would almost think that silicone may actually be better for neoprene as it'd stretch more with the fabric whereas breathables don't stretch much at all?

Hmm...

_SHig

Ed Wahl
08-28-2009, 09:21 PM
"Stop hooking yourself in the ass then! Or is there another story here?"

All right you over analytical bastard, I wore those neo's duck hunting and ended up using a brush pile for a blind. At the end of the day my neo's were riddled with holes.

Or............

I was casting to salmon in gale force right to left wind. Even using the ole chuck and duck, every other cast still hooked me in the ass. This went on all day until my rear end was black and blue.

Or..........

There I was, minding my own business, fishing the low flow of the Feather.

When a super hot Daisey Duke look alike comes a wad'in out to say hi. One thing leads to another and next thing I know some old hillbilly is shooting at me with a shotgun. If it weren't for my trusty neoprenes I'd be a goner for sure.

Or..............

Me and Mr. Lee are trespassing on a rich dudes private pond.
Said rich dude turnd out to be Michael Vick. He sicks his dogs on us.
Being the slower runner I got my rear end gnawed on pretty bad. My neoprene waders saved me from some very bad scars.

Take your pick Shig, but I'm gonna go with the Daisey Duke story. ;)

Ed

Darian
08-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Along the lines of Shig's idea, I'd say silicone is better for breathables, as well as neoprene. Silicone dries completely and remains more flexible than AquaSeal. I used some AquaSeal on an old air of waders and found that the treated area remained water tight. However, the edges of the treated area began to wear excessively do to the hard edge against a flexible one.

Altho, I guess it could've been my mediocre repair skills.... :confused: :confused:

Mike R
08-28-2009, 09:35 PM
If you put a piece of plastic wrap over the aquaseal and use it to feather the edges it, you won't have the problem of the edges wearing. And, you get a nice clean patch instead of a big gob of aquaseal.

Mike

David Lee
08-28-2009, 09:37 PM
I love it when a thread goes wandering out into the great beyond ......

Cheers , y'all - this one reminds me of the old days on the board !

David

(Jay - just buy new waders)

Hairstacker
08-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Who cares about waders. Jay, did you take that avatar picture?

Ed Wahl
08-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Thank you Mike.

jbird
08-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Who cares about waders. Jay, did you take that avatar picture?

In my dreams Mike. I only like the picture because I really admire the fighting butt ;-)

Theres an old saying, Id rather have a bottom in front of me than a frontal.......wait, thats not right. :lol:

............okay, waders. Leaky waders. uh, silicone....silicone? Oh boy, never mind!!!!

Ralph
08-29-2009, 07:33 AM
If they're neoprene use neoprene cement from any dive shop.

If patching breathables, use Aqua Seal thinned to the consistency of warm butter (I had to use butt here) with Cotol. Smear a fine layer of the thinned Aqua Seal into the leak with your thumb. If you end up with any sort of lump of glue, you used too much.