PDA

View Full Version : Streamer fishing

Hoser41
08-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Well I'm heading to Alaska next week to fish for salmon. I believe I will be throwing streamers (newbie here). My question is how do I cast...is it like trowing dries or like nymphing. If it is like nymphing how do I not get tangled. Tht seems to be a big problem with me

chapmag
08-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Google the title terms for websites that describe this cast. Also called the Belgian, oval, and constant tension cast.

From the midcurrent.com website:

"The Belgian cast — with its side-arm backcast, elliptical motion, and overhead release — helps keep the end of the line moving, which doesn't allow heavy flies or lines the chance to drag your line downward toward the water."

I would add that the cast also doesn't allow heavy flies the chance to embed themselves in your ear or other body parts. Painful personal experience...

Jet
08-25-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure where you are heading but more than likely you will be fishing for Silvers. If you are fishing for them in resting areas you will not have to cast super long distances. We used floating lines, intermediate and sink tips. If you are targeting fresh moving fish you will cast longer distances and let the fly swing across the current. I like to have flies in various weights. I do not like the big lead dumbbell eyes as they are hard to cast. I would have a few deceivers and try them as they are not heavily weighted. If you need to get down use a sink tip or intermediate line. My son caught fish with a floating line and 12-18" leader not intentional but he still caught fish. I used clousers which had the dumbbell eyes just not the real heavy lead ones. Pay attention to the wind direction as it can blow your flies into you while you are casting. Try to use the water to load your rod and try not to false cast too much. As you get tired your casting will start to get bad. Just relax and let the rod do the work and try not to over power the rod. You can also try just angling the rod away from your body just to give you an extra foot or two distance from you fly.

Good Luck and remember to watch your fingers and knuckles around the reel handle when you hook into a hot fish. Get the fish on the reel quickly and set your drag appropriately. Be careful landing salmon as this is where many rods are broken. We tend to beach the fish by backing away from the water. Then run up to the fish and grab your leader to unhook the fish. They are fast and powerful and can make you look pretty silly if you are not careful.

I'm not sure I answered your question but you will be false casting large flies in the air and you need to be careful not to hook yourself, someone else or your raft.

Tight Lines,

Jet

Hoser41
08-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks Jet,

I will be fishing for Salmon as well as dolly and rainbows. Got a few clousers and some other flies. Also got a couple of egg patterns for the rainbows and dollies.

easymends
08-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Dont forget about flesh flies. Try a flesh fly on point and run your bead 12 - 24 inches behind that. Bacon and eggs!

Flesh flies are an easy tie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOV7fBy9M-M&feature=channel_page

Jet
08-25-2009, 05:40 PM
I would have a lot of mice. They are fun to fish with from the boat and you can loose a lot but you get the biggest bows on them. Bow river buggers with cone heads. A pink gurgler can be fun for Silvers on top. Check the regs for your river as the ones I have fished only allow a single hook/fly. Don't foget the split shot for your beads.

Jet

590Mike
08-25-2009, 06:55 PM
I'd take a couple chartruse flashtail clousers and some pink rabbits foot clousers in Blantons jig hook style for the salmon also they are east to cast and salmon love'em actually hate them but who cares. A few crystal zonkers in grizzly or natural are also a good choice for the trout.

Good luck...