PDA

View Full Version : Good Spinning Reel

Jay Murakoshi
08-23-2009, 01:26 PM
What's a good medium price spinning reel for my new TFO 7' 3 piece heavy spinning rod.
What? are you shocked.... I'm going to use this as a teaser rod. My captain will be throwing a hookless pencil popper, hopefully to tease up some wahoo or tease a marlin in.
The range is 10 - 25lb, maybe a 2 oz. plug. I've been looking at bass pro and all the spinning reels look the same too me. Nothing, expensive. I plan on leaving this rod in Baja.

I'm leaning towards a Shimano reel

Jay

Dabalone
08-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Couple things come to mind for your purpose, high speed retrieve ratio for getting your teaser out of the water quickly and a model made for saltwater, then shop for best price I don't think brand makes a difference for your use.

Darian
08-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Renee bought a Daiwa for last June at Cerralvo (can't recall the model) and was really pleased with the purchase. It matches a TFO spinning rod rated for 25 pound test line. lots of ball bearings and a very smooth drag. Of course, this reel might to costly for your intended use.... :confused:

Jay Murakoshi
08-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Darian,

Heck, I've been thinking about tying 150' of 50lb mono to a coffee can and using that for a spinning reel. Run the line through the guides, cast the plug and let it glide off the can. Hand retrieve the line to the bottom of the boat. Those commerical guys don't tangle there lines, why would I :-)

Get that hand healed up

Jay

Troutstalker55B
08-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Jay,

I have seen the coffee can rig first hand in Chile, those natives have it down to science along with thier hand made spoons! Good luck on your trip!

JB

STEELIES/26c3
08-23-2009, 10:27 PM
10-25# is quite a vast range in the realm of line capacity....

I'm a proud and happy GEAR guy :D

I use mostly casting gear and 12-15# line to cast 1-2 oz plugs for 10-45# stripers.

I own many spinning reels for steelhead fishing.

I used to be a Shimano guy.

I am now a Daiwa man (as relates to spinning reels).

Daiwa excels in spinning gear and their technology (in at least the last 5 years...) has been miles ahead of Shimano's engineering Dept.

I own a Stella and from my experience with it... though the drag is superior... the remainder of the reel and its components are inferior to even Daiwa's middle of the road spinning reels.

I just bought a Team Daiwa Advantage. My buddy purchased the 2008 Fuego this spring. Another friend owns the Steez. Each is, in its own category, far superior to a comparably-priced Shimano reel (that would be Stradic, Sustain, Stella respectively)

I would go with Daiwa, Penn, Fin Nor

There's a Penn Spinfisher 950SS on eBay for $138 shipped.

I don't know the seller but his feedback is stellar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Penn-Spinfisher-950SSM-Spinning-Reel-950-SSM_W0QQitemZ200354329543QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item2ea60c73c7&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Good Luck in your reel-hunting endeavors,
M

mems
08-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Howzit Jay, I have used the okuma VS 65 with that rod. Now I Have a shimano spheros thet has 25lbs of drag. I have a fin nor 95, but put is on a shimano trevella rod with 600yds of 80lb power pro as a teaser rod. The TFO is a great travel rod. Now with Gary Loomis on board I told Rick Pope to make a 4 piece trolling rod for travel. I will let you know when that comes out. You should check out the spheros reel, I have been happy with it. Mems.

Scott V
08-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Hey troller, this is a fly board not a spinning board. So go away!!!!!

but as for a spinning reel I use Quantum's, that was my main brand when I use to fish bass tourney's.

stevie steelhead
08-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Jay, I used a Quantum "Cabo" with 25 lb test line paired with a Loomis 8'3" Escape travel spin rod for a teaser rod and for my gear buddy when we were in LP for a day with you (prior to going down to Los Frailles).
I actually caught a 50 lb rooster from the shore with a crocodile, right in front of our house, and I have caught sails and striped marlin on it too.
Great reel and a good price!

Jay Murakoshi
08-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Everyone, thanks for all the information regarding the reels. This is a "new" game for me.
I just found an old Mitchell 300 from my younger years. On the box there's a year stamped "1958". Looks too small for this rod :-)

Jay

Mr. Steelhead - how's your backyard. A pleasure meeting you in La Paz