PDA

View Full Version : My "trip" to the McCloud

Alastair
08-21-2009, 01:22 AM
I am reluctant to post this because I will be admitting that I am a moron. I hope by telling my tale that others will learn from it.
So, I'm fishing at the pool below the Middle Falls of the beautiful McCloud River. It is about 8 PM and I decide to get off the water before it gets dark. On my way back, going over the rocks, I put my foot down and BAMM, I do a complete faceplant/ankle snap! I laid there in the dirt for about 15 seconds in complete shock. I already knew my cell phone didn't work and my first thought was "if my ankle is broken and I can't walk, I am really screwed!"
I made so many mistakes that day. Number one was I was wearing tennis shoes instead of hiking boots, which I own. Number 2 was not letting anyone know where I was. Number 3 is I need to find a fishing buddy. Number 4 is I just turned 60 and I have to come to grips with getting older, I can't do the same things I did when I was younger.
I learned a lot that evening, I will never make those mistakes again. I just felt I wanted to tell my story and maybe save someone the problems that I had that day.
I was really scared, all I wanted to do was to get back to my truck. When I got back to my motel room, it looked as though I had a tennis ball stuffed in my ankle! It could have been a lot worse. Five days later my ankle is totally black and blue, hell, the whole top of my foot is black and blue and I am still limping around in pain.
Please learn from my mistakes, I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone.

Jay Murakoshi
08-21-2009, 07:11 AM
My wife is always concerned about my fishing trips. What happens "if". I try not to worry about things like that but it can and sometime does happen. I have a daily routine I try to do.... First, I've gone on 1250 calorie diet for the next 6 weeks. Trying to drop 20lbs and get to 165. Next, I do this religiously. I ride my bike 6 days a week somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 to 25 miles a day. I'm also in the gym 6 days a week, not body building but trying to maintain body strength. I just started using the stair stepper. I thought it looked easy but damn that machine is a killer. I warm up on the stationary bike for 15 minutes then for the cardio and then go to lifting weights. Then before I leave, I do 15 minutes of eliptical machine. I'm not saying everyone should be like me but when I was 51 years old and had a problem, I went to the doctor to get checked out and it was looking bad.
I was 228 lbs, real high colesterol (502) HDL & LDL were both bad. He told me that if I want to see retirement, I better make a change in my life. From that day forward, I started going to the gym. I could only do 5 minutes on the tread mill (at 4 speed) before I was gasping for air like a fish out of water. But in a years time, I dropped 62lbs, started eating right and felt a lot better. Today, I'm like 180 and still have the aches and pains from getting older. When I get out of bed every morning, I make sure all my body parts follow me. Yes, I do have a couple problems, one is GOUT. If I eat red meat, watch out !

Like I said, I'm not telling everyone to follow my foot steps but like you said as you get older "things happen"

Jay

I've been told 60 is not old. I'm 63 - and now collecting on my SS :-)

mark m
08-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Hey Alastair,
I am sorry to hear about your ankle. When I go to a nearby lake at dark AM, my wife always ask "is it safe?," and I always say "yes." But, I do wonder when I reach my destination will I step on a rattlesnake, run into a mountain lion or run into a thug. So far I have not, but almost crapped in my pants when a male pheasant took off right next to me and flew over my head as I was dragging my boat to the water.

For some of us the solitude is why we go alone, but I try to draw a map of where I will park before I leave from home even if my wife still doesn't know where it is.

By the way, loading the boat on top of my car is getting harder every year.

Good luck healing
Mark

Scott V
08-21-2009, 07:56 AM
This is why my wife bought me a SPOT locator, if I get hurt alone all I have to do is push a button and the calvery is a coming.

I am glad you made it out alive.

Bob Laskodi
08-21-2009, 08:08 AM
The problem with the "SPOT" locator's is time. Or to put the problem in one sentence, it takes too much time. Rescue by "SPOT" is at least 24 hours away, and most likely 48 hours. By the time your emergency beacon is spotted by a satellite, relayed to a ground station, and then relayed to the appropriate rescue agency, valuable time is lost. Get a satellite phone instead. Rescue efforts will likely start within an hour. If your emergency is life threatening go with a satellite phone, because you could be dead within 24 hours.

Scott V
08-21-2009, 08:21 AM
The problem with the "SPOT" locator's is time. Or to put the problem in one sentence, it takes too much time. Rescue by "SPOT" is at least 24 hours away, and most likely 48 hours. By the time your emergency beacon is spotted by a satellite, relayed to a ground station, and then relayed to the appropriate rescue agency, valuable time is lost. Get a satellite phone instead. Rescue efforts will likely start within an hour. If your emergency is life threatening go with a satellite phone, because you could be dead within 24 hours.

Is this from personal experience? Plus the message also goes to my mother and wife and one of them will get to me quickly.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Interesting stuff here......

At 64 and out of shape I am very careful now myself.

Luckily I never go alone because I hate talking to myself.

I bet in not too many years we will have SAT phones that are very affordable?

A GPS is a good thing now too.

Howe much is that SPOT system?

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Some years back we had a customer on one of our Kiene's group high country horse pack trips out of Red's Meadow Pack Station break his ankle walking around the lake near camp @ 9,000' so one of the wranglers got out a fully charged cell phone and rode to a peak where they knew they could get a signal and called for help. In a few hours he was taken out by helicopter.

mikel
08-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Alistair...I'm glad you got away with bruises to ankle and ego. Too often we think we're immortal...but the sad news is we are not. I'm 60 as well and I just don't go places and wade sections that I used to. Even so, I think we ALL take the odd chance. The link is directly related.

http://www.fresnobee.com/406/story/1604701.html

-Mike

EricO
08-21-2009, 10:13 AM
What is the approx. price of SAT phones? I know I've read posts where
people take them on remote trips...i.e. Alaska etc.

I imagine they are pricey?

EO

David Lee
08-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Alastair -

Glad you didn't get hurt worse !

Nature is totally indifferent - it won't kill you . Human nature , on the other hand ......

I try VERY hard to pay attention and not hurry anymore , figure I've used up enough 'good luck' for several lifetimes so far .

Get well soon !!!

D.~

Bob Laskodi
08-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Yes, I used to work the satellite systems that carry these things. I'm also a former USNPS Ranger who worked on a SAR team (although that was eons ago!). You need to understand how they work. You activate the system and it transmits a message up to the relevant satellite. It has your personal ID number and a pre-programmed message (IE distress call, your position, etc) along with your GPS location (sometimes, depends on what system you have) transmitted to the satellite. The satellite then relays the info to a ground station. Since the receiving satellite system may be foreign (ie Russian, etc) it may go to their ground station. The distress message is then relayed to the relevant countries rescue system who then evaluate it (most are "false") and dedicate resources to a rescue effort. This all takes time. In addition, since most of us are fisherman, unfortunately we may be at the bottom of a steep canyon which can make getting the "signal" out to the satellite difficult, which again adds more time to the equation. Here is a good source for a lot more detailed info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_radiobeacon

That being said, the "SPOT Locator" (Personal Locator Beacon-PLB) systems are relatively inexpensive, compact, and easy to use. They are great "peace of mind" for a worrisome spouse, especially since odds are you will never really need it! Plus they can track you as you go along, but it is not a "real time" system (for a fee of course!). IF I wanted it mainly for "peace of mind" purposes it's a great way to go. For example in CONUS, on a solo backpacking trip on the Sierra's this would be the only emergency communication device I'd carry. IF I was going to a "high risk" location, solo trip to the bush in Alaska with a ton of bears, I would carry the PLB along with a satellite phone that is pre-programmed with all the local rescue organizations I'd need in that specific area. A satellite phone is a "real time" system, a PLB is not. You can rent these phones from most outfitters in the area for a nominal fee.
The main point I want to make is; don't expect that you "push the button" and help is immediately on the way as it doesn't exactly work like that.

El Rey
08-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Good lessons for us oldsters. At age 67 I realize that I am no longer 30, or ever 40. Lots of things I can't or shouldn't do any more, especially by myself in remote areas. My wife always knows where I'll be and when I'm due home. Then I call from the car to let her know I'm on my way home. (Wives worry.) I try not to fish alone. If I do fish by myself, I usually go where I know there will be others, i.e., the Yuba, the Truckee, etc. And I am always careful with my footwork, in both hiking and wading. I always carry a wading staff. Know and accept your limitations. Thankfully, nothing bad has happened to me except sunburn, bug bites, and occasional skunkings.

With continued good health I've got at least 20 more years of flyfishing.

troutbm
08-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Its good you only got a bruised ankle and ego. I have takin some serious falls in years past the worst resulted in my arms and legs being paralyzed for what seemed like forever(maybe 10 seconds at most). working a mountain river is a tough, demanding, and sometimes bloody affair, And I wouldn't want it any other way ! I guess its not always smart to go backpack for 3 days alone in the sierras or just head off on a whim without telling anyone but hell thats just the way I am. I've learned to take it a bit slower and be careful since fishing is to dam much fun to risk your life at it. How was the fishing ? I've done well on the pool below middle falls.

Dabalone
08-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the post glad you are ok, good advice in this thread. I have been athletic and in good shape all my life, but no one escapes the limitations getting older puts on you. In recent years I have noticed the slower reactions and unsure balance which were never a problem before, no more rock hopping for me the thought of putting my face into a granite rock is always in the back of my mind. Slower and surer now, and shortcuts don't seem nearly as good of an idea anymore. The electronics are always a good idea, but most important is if going alone let people know where you will be, a time frame and don't deviate without updating someone.

robdog
08-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Interesting stuff here......
A GPS is a good thing now too.
How much is that SPOT system?

Bill, they there was a recent promotion that just ended at the beginning of the month. There is a new one in place (http://www.findmespot.com/en/). You have to purchase actual SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker first, then you have purchase the plan that fits your need. I found this site w/ a bunch of reviews (http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/5036?qryrmv=1&ppcs=google&ppcg=4-62keyword=s.p.o.t&gclid=COKYlMqutpwCFRwpawodvkiWn). If you like to goto the backwoods & hike a bit, before fishing, then I would recommend it. I don't have one, but my lady wants me to get one. I guess if I go w/ Scott V, then I am good hands :unibrow:

At 64 and out of shape I am very careful now myself.
Luckily I never go alone because I hate talking to myself.

Well, if you feel like taking a hike, before making a cast, then holla back at me. Because of work obligations, I have to go in the middle of the week.

aaron
08-21-2009, 10:01 PM
All of the people I know who work for NOLS swear by the spot. They use it mainly for the OK function and apparently they rely on the NOLS receiving the emergency alerts to initiate rescue.

Sat phones are nice, but expensive and a signal isn't as easy to obtain as you might think in adverse conditions. Plus even in an emergency in the backcountry just because you reach someone doesn't mean help will be there anytime soon. It's pretty hard to get a heli to fly if it can be avoided at any cost.

Basically there is no perfect solution. If you spend enough time in the sticks a WFR class is a good investment or at least try to travel with people with some idea of how to handle some bad situations.

Frank Pipgras
08-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Lots of lessons in this thread for us older guys. I now find myself steelhead fishing with buddies rather than trout fishing alone. I love to trout fish but how many guys in their 60"s can you get to hike up the McCloud with you. I use to fish the Pit alone but after a heart attack three years ago, no more. How do you get out of the Pit 4 reach by yourself if you are hurt? Maybe it takes us many years to get sane.

robdog
08-23-2009, 06:25 PM
after speaking on this issue, I was a bit disturbed on what I have read about the spot. First I find it pretty pricey. Second, there seemed to be some issue w/ functionality & customer service. I did find an alternate. The McMurdo FastFind 210 (http://www.rei.com/product/791972). What I like most about this service, is you don't have to keep getting a subscription to use. It's totally for emergency use only (http://www.fastfindplb.com/en/what_is_fast_find/406_mhz_emergency_location_beacons_explained.php). Just trying to provide a lil' more info on the subject of Personal Locators.

Quinnphoto
08-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey Jay do you take water pills? I used to get gout as well until I got off the diuretics, now I take another kind of pill but now I never get gout.

SLOwag
08-24-2009, 02:06 PM
I am by no means advocating this product but I've been following the development since the initial release...it's not yet the right fit for me but could be what is needed by others. I attached a link to it being used on Mt. Whitney (different exposure to satellites than down in the canyon along the McCloud) and another story on a moto rider that crashed.

Mt. Whitney story:http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/66844/page/1/gonew/1#UNREAD

First person narrative from the moto rider:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421058

I'm sure there are other stories out there if you search.