PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Lakes quickie...

Ben Kobrin
08-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi all. As a last minute getaway, I'm taking my wife to Mammoth this weekend just to relax. I'll probably only have a few hours on Saturday afternoon/evening to fish while she's getting a massage. With that cramped timeframe is Hot Creek my best option? I've only fished up that way once so I don't know of much other than the main attraction (Hot Creek). If there is something else I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

-ben

caltagm
08-20-2009, 05:52 PM
I think I'd go down to the San Joaquin. I've been hearing that Hot Creek is getting pretty overgrown.

Dave Neal would know best.

troutbm
08-20-2009, 05:58 PM
My favorite spot in the area is the upper owens. I'm not much into hot creek cuz the best water is in the pvt section.

Dave Neal
08-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Ben- You should check out Hot Creek!! It is getting a little more "technical" with the weed growth etc. but if you fish the afternoon/eve bring plenty of Schroeder's Hoppers #12 or #14 and some small tan para caddis, and tan loop wing cdc caddis emergers #20-22. Plan on covering a lot of water, keep moving, and make short perfect drifts between the weedy areas. If you nymph, do it in the white water.

troutbm, while the pvt section is very, very, special - the public water has a lot to offer as well. Yes, it gets pounded but you can fish weighted flies and has some deep fast riffles that are unique to the canyon area. Let's go fish it sometime and show you some tricks!

HC has tons of wild browns and rainbows of all sizes and is a very special fishery that deserves every bit of hype it receives!!

Also, Upper O can be really good with same bugs at that time of day. Try nymphing some drowned trico spinners, tiny PT nymphs, and basic attractor stuff, hoppers etc. Walk and cover lots of water. Both streams have a trico event right now, but that will be best in the am emergence/spinnerfall. You may see some male tricos coming off at last light in the evening, so look for the slower rise forms. The splashy ones will be for caddis.

San Joaquin can be a blast, too. Although it is getting pretty low and fish have seen a lot of pressure by now. I would most definitely fish the downstream portions - Rainbow Falls area as there is more water down there. The SJ at last light is usually pretty good, but may be past the prime on this small freestone river.

If you have any other ?'s feel free to email me. Have fun!!!

Chris Evison
08-20-2009, 08:44 PM
I would hit Hot Creek and Dave knows his stuff. I would take 2 rods One for nymph rig one for dry to maximize coverage of water. If you like nymphing get there early (7am) to beat the crowds that show for the dry fly action. I've caught alot of fish in morning before the crowds show. The Hot Creek fish are deeply colored, some of the prettiest in the state. Afternoons generally windy with mornings usually calmer. Have fun!

Chris

Ned Morris
08-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Upper Hot Creek above the ranch is an awesome spot if you know how to negotiate the weeds. Lower Mammoth Creek can be a challenge but offers some nice browns with almost no pressure if you can deal with the bushes. If you are driving over Tioga Pass through Yosemite hit the Dana Fork in the fast section above Tuolumne Meadows. Good place to wet a line for Rainbows and Brookies for an hour lunch.

Spin
08-21-2009, 11:49 AM
It is an easy hike up the trail from Horseshoe Lake -- maybe a half mile at the most. My wife and I spent a fun afternoon there last year. I wet waded out on some flat-like shallows and caught a ton of cutthroats on attractor dries. It is a protected catch and release fishery, but I don't think many people know about it. It was a hoot after working my butt off on the San Joaquin.

Ben Kobrin
08-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I didn't end up doing any fishing this weekend, but had a great time anyway. Mammoth is a fantastic place to just get away from the valley for a while. When we left yesterday afternoon it was 49 degrees and raining. When we got back to Stockton it was 82 degrees at 8:00 at night! What a change.

By the way, next time you are in the area try the Huevos Rancheros at the Breakfast Club. Easily the best breakfast I've had in a looooooong time.

Dave Neal
08-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Ben-

Glad you had a great time in Mammoth even if you didn't get to fish. I spent the day on the Upper O and it rained for a good four hours and was COLD! But fishing was actually good for us. By later in the day/evening the sun DID finally come out and it became quite nice. I heard the caddis came off pretty well on HC.

Today, it's sunny, blue sky and 70 degrees.

When you come back try breakfast at The Stove. Best place in town for breakfast!

Wednesday night dinners it's tough to beat Angel's for all-you-can-eat BBQ RIBS.

Course, it'll mandatory that you HIKE for goldens next day after both those meals!!

September is a great month around here. No mosquitos, kids are back in school so crowds are light and the cooler nights & shorter days bring back the mayfly hatches.

Crowley Lake should have a great fall season. The lake is very high for this time of year and the weed beds (perch sanctuaries) are really impressive right now.

Upper Owens should be really good this fall, too.

E Walker if there is more than 20 cfs should be very good this fall season as well.

Hot Creek will get less weedy later in the fall as the weeds die off and open up the water a bit.

Ben Kobrin
08-24-2009, 12:31 PM
When you come back try breakfast at The Stove. Best place in town for breakfast!

We had dinner at The Stove on Saturday night. We both loved it but we barely made a dent in the portion size.

My wife had such a good time this weekend that I don't think it will be difficult to get her back over the mountain. Husbands take note: not fishing this weekend may end up paying dividends in the form of future trips!