PDA

View Full Version : It's my anniversary!

SHigSpeed
08-20-2009, 10:47 AM
One year as a flyfisher...

After an aborted toe in the pool back in my college days (I built a 5 wt Sage IM6 from a blem blank back at Humboldt State and threw a SciAnglers 456 on in '89/'90 - and I still have it and fish it), I've now been a fully-fledged flyfisher now for one year tomorrow!

It's been a good year, starting from dragging a wooly bugger behind a needlefish spoon on UL spinning gear, to a short period of "swinging both ways" to my first "fly only" day at Fuller last year. Haven't looked back since.

Since then my fly-gear stash has exploded, flytying is de-rigeur over store bought, and the poor conventional gear (of which I also have a large stash) is gathering dust in the garage.

I just want to thank all of you who've helped me out with tips and tricks and inspiration. This place rocks. To celebrate, I'll be out this weekend to hopefully put the final nails in my California Heritage Trout requirements by doing the Kern River trifecta.

Wish me luck...

Looking forward to more of my "second-life" of fishing.

_SHig

Scott V
08-20-2009, 10:54 AM
quote: "swinging both ways"

I knew there was something wrong with you, but I will still fish right next to you.

SHigSpeed
08-20-2009, 10:57 AM
quote: "swinging both ways"

I knew there was something wrong with you, but I will still fish right next to you.
But not in front of me?

"Not that there's anything wrong with it!"

_SHig

DFrink
08-20-2009, 11:28 AM
But not in front of me?

"Not that there's anything wrong with it!"

_SHig

Hilarious!

troutbm
08-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Congrats on 1 year, Many more to come !

Mrs.Finsallaround
08-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Congrats Shig!

This month, I'll have been Fly-fishing for 3 years... and, the 1st year was definitely the hardest.... Took me 10 months (fishing a few times a month) to catch my first fish on a fly rod (I'll never forget that little LMB in the S. Moke at the mouth of Hog Slough). I thought it would NEVER happen!

Now, I'm shooting for a 10+ pounder (stripe and/or LMB), and although I haven't reached it yet, I know I will eventually....:-\"

That, and landing a steelie... [-o<

My gear inventory, too, has grown, and hubby always giggles a little when I talk about some new rod, reel or fly that's caught my attention...

I have thoroughly enjoyed being a member of this BB, and thank everyone who has helped my fledgling FF career... I am officially addicted!:nod:

john
08-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Congratulations on the anniversary. I'm kinda jealous when someone can point to a date, time and place. I can do that w/saltwater b/c it came later, but freshwater was such transitional thing I have no defining point of referance. Continued success to you...

robdog
08-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Congrats Shig. Keep the tight lines!!!

Hairstacker
08-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Congratulations SHigSpeed! Seems like you had a lot of fun this year, you posted some great reports, and you even participated in a few fly tying swaps. Good for you! :)