PDA

View Full Version : "Final" spec SHigSpeed Rod Rack - Gauging Interest for production...

SHigSpeed
08-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Well there are a few of these out there in different levels of development, but I think I've just about got the thing nailed down.

If you're like me and like, no, LOVE to tube or 'toon while flyfishing, you no doubt have had the want/need to have more than one rod rigged and ready to fish. Problem is, on a 'toon or even worse a tube, it's not so easy. Sure you can get a Scotty, but they're not cheap, and then there's trying to attach it and what if you want 2 or 3 rods or a net?

Here's my solution:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Tube%20Mods/DSCF9855.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Tube%20Mods/DSCF9857.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Tube%20Mods/DSCF9859.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Tube%20Mods/DSCF9861.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Tube%20Mods/DSCF9862.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Tube%20Mods/P1060092.jpg

Features include:

1) Elegant attachment at the D-rings using a heat molded receptacle and pivot pin and cotter system
2) The stand-off arms unscrew, whole thing folds flat for ease of packing.
3) The "third-leg" pivots and is adjustable. This allows you to set whatever lean angle you want to suit your preferences.
4) Engineered fly rod receptacles with easy on-off bungee leash for security
5) Most nets fit in the rod receptacles

So, any suggestions to refine the design? It's easily adapted to pontoon boat frames as well and to most float tubes (if they have the D-rings). I've made them so far for FishCatIVs and (Super)FatCats.

A lot of time goes into these so they won't be selling for parts plus a six-pack. BUT, let me know if it's a must-have/been looking for EXACTLY that and I may start building these when I'm not fishin'. :)

Post up suggestions, questions, "I gotta have one"s.

_SHig

Darian
08-17-2009, 01:10 AM
I don't need one but.... Interesting, clean design. Easy to use. I'm impressed with the level of thought that went into it. =D> You must've built some sprinkler systems in your time.... :nod:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Pretty cool..........

FlyFlogger
09-08-2009, 08:59 AM
The only thing I might ad is that alot of fellow float tubers I know have made similar rod holding devices, but had the rods laying down parallel to the water, instead of upright. If you had something like that, I would be interested, but am a bit worried about the rods being upright like the one you show. Just my .02, worth more or less....

SHigSpeed
09-08-2009, 09:57 AM
The only thing I might ad is that alot of fellow float tubers I know have made similar rod holding devices, but had the rods laying down parallel to the water, instead of upright. If you had something like that, I would be interested, but am a bit worried about the rods being upright like the one you show. Just my .02, worth more or less....

I like that fish finder mount! It works well on that tube, but there's not enough snout in front of the pockets on a FishCat for that to work but very cool.

The horizontal idea has some benefits if there's a lot of crosswind in the wrong direction, but the outward tilt fixes most problems. Besides, if the crosswind is that bad, you'll be hooking yourself before tangling your off side rods! Also for gear guys it limits sidearm casting one way, and fishing under trees (not usually a flyfishing situation).

You COULD lay four rods out, but it'd be a long reach to get that last one, and I love having my net handy and "right there" in the last tube.

I'd really be afraid of coming ashore (rocky shore worst case) and crushing the tips off of any rods too! YIKES!

I have had one request (ahem... ScottV) to allow the tubes to pivot back to a semi-horizontal orientation for backpacking the tube so the tips are up when the tube is strapped up and carried. I could hinge and linkage the four tubes together so they lock in "up" and "down" positions, but that would be spendy(er)!

Of course I can build whatever you want depending on what kind of tube you have and if I can get a hold of something similar to prototype on or just make it adjustable enough to work on anything.

Hit me up! There's always time between fishing trips...

_SHig

Hairstacker
09-08-2009, 01:34 PM
_SHig, I think your setup is awesome. I know you said it would be "more than parts and a 6-pack," but have you figured out an actual price yet? Have you considered smaller versions, like a 2 or 3-rod rack?

Scott V
09-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I love my SHigrack, I was very happy when he said he would making me one for my tube. I was worried at first about the rods being up but they are never in the way and I am glad they are upright instead of laying down. If I could change anything it would be an adapter for my drink since I usually have one space open on the rack. Oh yeah and the tilt action for when I hike in somewhere. Everywhere I go I get stopped so people can take pictures of it.

SHigSpeed
09-08-2009, 02:50 PM
I love my SHigrack, I was very happy when he said he would making me one for my tube. I was worried at first about the rods being up but they are never in the way and I am glad they are upright instead of laying down. If I could change anything it would be an adapter for my drink since I usually have one space open on the rack. Oh yeah and the tilt action for when I hike in somewhere. Everywhere I go I get stopped so people can take pictures of it.

No photos!! You signed the non-disclosure agreement.

Drink adapter wouldn't be tough at all though.

_SHig

Fochetti
09-13-2009, 01:43 PM
I have to agree I love mine, it works great. I have no problems at all with the rods being upright. I agree with Scott I would like a drink adapter, cause I have an extra tube as well. I have people ask about it every time I am on the water. When you figure out the hiking upgrade I will definitely want one of those, I would really enjoy that option.

Shig,

My only suggestion is to have some kind of dampening material in the tubes where the rod handles go. Mine seem to rattle around a bit and rub on the cork.

What is the new third arm design all about? Does the little blue bungee hold it in place?

John

SHigSpeed
09-16-2009, 04:12 PM
I have to agree I love mine, it works great. I have no problems at all with the rods being upright. I agree with Scott I would like a drink adapter, cause I have an extra tube as well. I have people ask about it every time I am on the water. When you figure out the hiking upgrade I will definitely want one of those, I would really enjoy that option.

Shig,

My only suggestion is to have some kind of dampening material in the tubes where the rod handles go. Mine seem to rattle around a bit and rub on the cork.

What is the new third arm design all about? Does the little blue bungee hold it in place?

John

John,

Are you using the bungees? I find that the cork actually doesn't touch the sides much at all if you use them. I added those after I had the same problem with a previous design where the cork would rub when they rocked in the wind.

_SHig

Fochetti
09-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Shig,

I am using the bungees, however there is still a bit of play in there. Guess I could just shorten them up a bit so they are a little tighter.

Mumbles
02-09-2010, 04:04 PM
That is one killer home grown design product. If you can make it in all stealth black let me know. I've struggled with multiple rods in my fishcat4 and currently have them true vertical behind the inflatable seat back. Casting has never been an issue so long as I'm casting off center across to one side or another. Very nice design work there!