PDA

View Full Version : New to Chico area

bro_hair
08-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Hello everyone!
I am new to the Chico area (just moved in) and am looking for some good spots close to the area to fly fish and pick up something. Im ready to get into some awesome rainbows, steelhead, salmon and what ever else is out there! Any information on spots to go or little creeks in the area would be awesome! I am fairly knowledgable in fishing around the roseville and truckee/tahoe area! So lets exchange some tips! I am new to the message board so feel free to quiz me or provide any information. Anything would be awesome!

Gulicemo
08-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Go talk to the guys in the Chico Fly Shop off of 8th avenue or Sierra Mountain and stream off of 5th street next to Joe's Bar for the latest reports. Both shops are straight shooters and they wil point you in the right directions. August is tough fishing due to the heat but come late september and october it will pick back up. good luck

aaron
08-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Welcome to town, stop in any of the shops and hit them up for info. I'm a bit biased towards SSM (maybe because I work there?). You have a lot of small streams close by, as well as the Sac, Feather, and Yuba to explore. Real steelhead are only a couple of hours away and you are close by to Almanor for the hex. Lots of fishing to explore plus a ton of other recreation as well. August is kind of a tough month with the heat. One more thing...get used to Keystone... :-&

CODY
08-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I would check out Fish First in Chico, Go talk to Mac. Tell him cody from the Albany/berkeley store sent ya. He'll set u up.

bro_hair
08-13-2009, 02:41 AM
Thank you so much for the tips! I will definutely check out CFS and the other shops around! I am really excited for the small stream fishing to try out my new 4wt! I have seen some killer fish just in the creek on the Chico State campus! It looks like I wont need to go to far to get into some good runs. I have been reading and sounds like for the big fish the Feather, Sac and up toward Almanor are the places to be. I am thankfull for all the replys guys! Hope to see you on the river!

Scott V
08-13-2009, 07:28 AM
What does "bro_hair" mean?

And welcome to the board.

Darrin.Deel
08-13-2009, 08:19 AM
college student?

anyways, there is a ton of fishing to do within 1 hour of chico, and some right in town. e-mail me if you want specifics.

and the big fish in big chico creek are most likely pikeminnows. check the regs for fishing that creek.

darrin.deel@yahoo.com

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Between the 3 fly shops in Chico and this message board you should have plenty of ideas.

Get ready for October...............

dirtbag
08-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Definetly go to the Chico Fly Shop. Larry is probably the most knowledgable person in Chico, I went to school there and went to all of the shops. He is a super nice guy, might even take you fishing and show you the ropes. Also they have a great new line of rods out if you are in the market. Good luck.

Mike R
08-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Wait til the kings come into the creek on campus in october/november. Pretty cool to watch 'em under the bridge by the library. Good luck with school...between fishing, beer, and the girls, you'll need it!

Mike

bro_hair
08-14-2009, 02:27 AM
I have been to CFS, John and Larry both are very knowledgable for the entire area and have given me plenty of advice on the rulings of bidwell creek and many other areas to fish! I am almost as excited to start school up there as i am for the fishing and all the ladies to chase once i get off the river! 8-[

huntindog
08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
I have been to CFS and am possibly going to be employed there providing they have a pot for me. John and Larry both are very knowledgable for the entire area and have given me plenty of advice on the rulings of bidwell creek and many other areas to fish! I am almost as excited to start school up there as i am for the fishing and all the ladies to chase once i get off the river! 8-[

you are doomed...:D, fishing, ladies will both leave you broke....Larry is a great guy to latch onto..I love the shop, been going there since the powell days. Look forward to meeting you...I tend to migrate that way once or twice a week.

bro_hair
08-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Haha it seems to look that way, ladies and fishing are very important things :D I have a feeling once school starts I will be running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to keep up with the assignments. I plan on trying out Deer Creek this upcoming week just to get some decent dry fly action before school starts. Hopefully it wont be to hot!

wineslob
08-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Welcome to the area! You have Deer Creek, Yellow Creek, ect, etc....hell just go up the Skyway till it turns to dirt.......

Your'e gonna be busy.

troutbm
08-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Theres plenty of small streams if you go up the road past magalia, sterling city, And then inskip. After inskip it turns to dirt roads, Follow the dirt roads and theres quit a few streams up there. Nothin spectacular just average streams with average trout but hell someones gotta fish em. I'd get a forest service map of the area. Fork to the right will quickly have you on what i think is west branch butte creek. To lazy to get the map out. Decent hunting area as well.

bro_hair
08-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Theres plenty of small streams if you go up the road past magalia, sterling city, And then inskip. After inskip it turns to dirt roads, Follow the dirt roads and theres quit a few streams up there. Nothin spectacular just average streams with average trout but hell someones gotta fish em. I'd get a forest service map of the area. Fork to the right will quickly have you on what i think is west branch butte creek. To lazy to get the map out. Decent hunting area as well.

A forest map is a good idea! I didnt think about that one, I tend to do things the hard way haha. I am greatful for all the info that everyone has provided! Sounds like this is definutely going to be a total blast discovering all the little streams and ladies :razz: hopefully i wont get to distracted from school! everything in moderation right? haha. Thanks again everyone!

Troutstalker55B
08-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Troutbm,

That's the west branch of the Feather River, and I have C&R two browns under the bridge that were right around 5 pounds. I grew up in Paradise and there is so much water to fish around there!

JB.

troutbm
08-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Troutbm,

That's the west branch of the Feather River, and I have C&R two browns under the bridge that were right around 5 pounds. I grew up in Paradise and there is so much water to fish around there!

JB.

Thnaks for clearing that up after I posted i started thinking it may be west branch feather.

wineslob
09-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Sounds like this is definutely going to be a total blast discovering all the little streams and ladies

Stay away from upper Bidwell Park........nuttin to see, nuttin to see....... :drool: