PDA

View Full Version : Smelly waders

Scott V
08-09-2009, 04:53 PM
How do I get the smell of sweat out of my waders? Can I throw them in the washer? Baby powder? Help I am afraid the smell will scare off others from fishing with me.

Now don't rip on me too hard, so go ahead, but be gentle.

Thanks for any helpful advice.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-09-2009, 05:39 PM
I guess you could turn them inside out and wash them on a gentle cycle?

Bruce Berman
08-09-2009, 07:22 PM
I don't trust washing machines. They've beaten up too much of my delicate stuff. I'd turn the waders inside out and scrub them with a scrubbing brush and a non-detergent soap.

BTW, if you fart in your waders it gets rid of that sweat-smell.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Anyone here old enough to remember the smell of pure latex seamless stocking-foot SealDri waders?

When you wore them for a long day they really had their own stinky smell.

Darian
08-09-2009, 08:47 PM
When I first saw this, I thought it was about smelly people in waders but,.... I do recall the old Seal Dri waders. Of course, those could be turned inside out and hosed off in the front yard. The same could be done for Scott's waders, then hung out to dry. :cool:

BTW,.... I used to fart in my waders to keep warm while wading at Pyramid Lake (and some other cold climate places.... :nod: ) Ran off some of the groupies, too. :lol: :lol:

FRSam
08-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Leave em be Scott...it's like washing a fishing cap - it's bad luck. And if people stay away it just gives you that much more fishing space - that's a good thing. ;-)

Pete

Jgoding
08-09-2009, 08:58 PM
mine say to machine wash them but I never trust that... I'd use warm water and some detergent and hand scrub em out.

Darrin.Deel
08-09-2009, 09:49 PM
i rock the smelly waders. good fish karma.

but then again I always smell bad...

Jay Murakoshi
08-10-2009, 07:50 AM
SealDri's, I just through a pair in the garbage. They were definitely old. I think I purchased them when they were going out of business back in the late 70's -s SealDri 100
Since been stored for decades, the latex rubber was melted together.

They weren't the most heavy duty waders back then but they were light and worked. I remember shad fishing one year fishing the "washout" on the Sac. Being that my buddy was short, he had to wade out just a little further than the lineup. My fly had drifted in his direction, and when he took a step back, I felt the "little tug" and set up. I ripped the crotch of his seal dri's right off his body. The whole lineup cracked up

Jay

As for the smell, hold your breath when you slide into them

Dave E.
08-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Hi Scott,

I've always had good luck using woolite and luke warm water. The only thing to change over the years is that I don't use the washer ( gentle cycle ) anymore.
I simply turn them inside out and place them in the bath tube and gently wash them by hand, then let them soak for a half hour. After that I rinse thoroughly, inside and out, with cool water and hang to dry.

From June through September I've found an even better way to avoid washing waders. Instead of wearing waders, I wear a pair of zip off leg - quick dry - flats pants. Whether wading or tubing, that's what I wear. This also seems to cut down on the wear and tear on my waders, in essence doubling their service life......barring accidents.

Best, Dave

luckyt
08-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Scott....about three years ago I had Kiene's order for me a product made by Loon that is a spray made just for the problems you speak. I can't think of the name of it for the life of me. You just turn your waders inside out and spray the product on and let dry. It worked perfectly. Sorry I can't remember the name of it but if still made it works great. I will keep looking in my stuff for the bottle....Tom

Ed Wahl
08-10-2009, 10:39 AM
A little Right Guard now and then wouln't hurt. :lol:

Ed

Mike R
08-10-2009, 11:11 AM
This is what we used to do with our waders (which were coated with gas, diesel, 2-cycle oil, bacon grease, fish blood, fish slime, egg slime, and general guide stank) at the end of the season in AK:

Burn 'em.

If that doesn't work, follow the directions to wash them.

Mike

Scott V
08-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Loon Fresh Pants is the ticket, thanks luckyt. I will have Bill order me some.

wjorg
08-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Mirazyme is an enzymatic cleaner that will not harm you waders. Its also helpful with you fall in water full of rotting salmon......

luckyt
08-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Scott...I found it...It is Loon Fresh Pants that I used...gooooood....Tom

Dave Neal
08-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Scott, I wear waders more than any article of clothing I own. Mine STINK so bad my eyes water and I start laughing at how putrid they get.

Go get some Nikwax Tech Wash (aqua green bottle) it's $$ but worth it. Follow instructions on the bottle. You could also use "Ivory Chips" but should avoid detergent soaps.

WASH THEM in your washing machine & DRY THEM TOO! Low heat, if you want.

All H20 proof stuff needs to be washed AND dried from time to time revitalizing the breathability of the laminate membrane and help the dwr coating.

Ask any Gore-Tex using company (or any waterproof clothing manufacturer) or rep and they will preach this.

Dave Neal
08-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Oh, and I second the Loon Fresh Pants, too. Works great in between washings.

troutbm
08-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Do you all sip lattes and tea also ??? I couldn't resist !

jdougher
08-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Have you contacted the manufacturer for their recommendation?

Scott V
08-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Have you contacted the manufacturer for their recommendation?

Nope, I was hoping to get some users experiences instead of a manufacturers recommendation. Besides they are Cabelas waders and I have little to no trust in what they advise me, they have been wrong before on other information I needed so I do not waste my time.

dickwhite
08-13-2009, 04:00 PM
My wife walked into the garage the other day and came out holding her nose. "What's so stinky in there?" she aked. After walking around smelling everything I zeroed on on my wading boots and neoprene socks. I didn't know if I should be happy or what. I guess that means that I've been doing some fishing this summer. Which is a good thing. Still these things were so stinking I was worried about attracting bears or flies when I put them back in the truck.

It took washing them 2 times with mild detergent and sitting out in the sun for 5 days to finally make them good enough to put in the back of the truck.

Tight lines

Dick White
Tahoma CA

Xnjb707X
08-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Nothing is worse than rocking bare feet in waders, my buddys waders are so bad these days I want to tie him to the roof of the car sometimes. Mine used to be bad (till I hosed them down in the front yeard with some laundry soap), but now I always wear a pair of socks but he still doesnt! It's so bad that he has to hang his feet out the window while we are driving back from fishing. FYI always wear a pair of socks when wearing waders. That smell will never go away.. My stomach is upset just thinking about it!

- Nic

pvsprme
08-14-2009, 07:27 AM
When first married, we had to use the local laundromat. Lots of cannery workers there as well. It was Alaska, 1979. The worst smell ever was herring season, smell of those suckers wouldn't come out for anything. A young man showed my wife how he put a can of Coke in the washing machine with the detergent and it took the smell out. Problem solved.

caltagm
08-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Would Diet Coke be alright? I'm watching my figure.

wjorg
08-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Techwash first, risnse well, really well.

Then Mirazyme, soak and let air dry.

Works for me. And my middle name is Mildew.....