PDA

View Full Version : Tibor Everglades vs. Riptide

OceanSunfish
08-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Which is more versatile? To me, the Riptide seems to cover a greater range and with braid for backing, it can go up the ladder a bit too as well as handle #8 chores too.

I suppose if you could afford two, you would chose Everglades and size up from the Riptide.

Thanks.

Motofish
08-08-2009, 11:25 PM
shouldn't be an issue...... use that Able you've got stashed away!!!! Motofish

Darian
08-09-2009, 12:05 AM
The choice should be dictated by what species you're after and under what conditions you'll be fishing. Since the drags are substantially the same, the only difference between the two models should be line capacity (pound test/yardage).... Not much difference in weight, either. :nod:

Having said that, unless you're planning on targeting the largest and strongest of salt water fish and assuming you'll be casting from a boat, maybe the smaller of the two is enough.... :confused:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I have had all the Tibor reels over the years and know what you are talking about.

The Everglades is a wonderful #7/8/9 reel depending on the fly lines and backing needs you have.

The Riptide is a wonderful #9/10/11 reel, also depending on your personal needs.

**I personally would rather get a larger reel than use the Gel-spun backing.

**Big reels are great for gathering line in big open saltwater situations.

If I was going to have one Tibor reel it would be the Riptide because for most 7-8 line situations you don't need that good of reel.

Sometimes you are better off to get the exact right reel for your rod, line and backing too.

OceanSunfish
08-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I have had all the Tibor reels over the years and know what you are talking about.

The Everglades is a wonderful #7/8/9 reel depending on the fly lines and backing needs you have.

The Riptide is a wonderful #9/10/11 reel, also depending on your personal needs.

**I personally would rather get a larger reel than use the Gel-spun backing.

**Big reels are great for gathering line in big open saltwater situations.

If I was going to have one Tibor reel it would be the Riptide because for most 7-8 line situations you don't need that good of reel.

Sometimes you are better off to get the exact right reel for your rod, line and backing too.

Exactly what I was getting at ....... If need be, I can use a Riptide for full #8 lines and backing, but it's difficult to cram a #10 line onto a smaller reel without having to resort to thinner braids for backing. When I hold both reels in hand, I don't feel much difference, so that is why I posed the question.....

The choice seem obvious to me, but I thought I was missing something.... Thanks.

Scott V
08-10-2009, 01:31 PM
I have a used Riptide in very good condition for sale if you want to talk. Send me a PM if interested.

1flyfisher
08-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Did you mean Everglades?

john
08-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Scott: You'll regret selling it.