PDA

View Full Version : driving to north lake tahoe

medfly
08-06-2009, 03:54 PM
anyone driven up 80 recently to tahoe? i hear there is alot of construction going on with alot of delays. that and hot august nights this weekend could make for a terrible drive tomorrow in the afternoon. just wondering if anyone has driven with the recent construction and how bad it is? cause there are alternate routes, but they are all a substantial bit out of the way and are only worth it if it is really bad (caltrans is warning to add up to 90 minutes for the drive this weekend due to construction plus hot august nights increased traffic)

aaron
08-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Drove it last sunday afternoon back to sac, there's construction from Colfax to Stateline. It wasn't to bad then, they narrowed some lanes and the speed limit is reduced to 55 in a few areas which created a few bottlenecks. Maybe tacked on an extra 20 minutes or so to the drive.

Ralph
08-06-2009, 07:01 PM
We drove to the Truckee on I-80 early afternoon. Heavy traffic but not bad. Westbound was one lane from the stateline to the summit. Looked horrible. We came home in pouring rain through 49 (Downieville)

dickwhite
08-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Some of my early check ins at the B&B said the traffic was no problem coming up 80. They hit the summit around 4pm. I'm sure it got busier after that.

I know that 80-Donner Summit has been a real bear on Sundays going west bound. If you're on the North shore and don't want to take 50 home. Try Donner Pass Rd (old 40) over the summit all the way to Cisco Grove. At least you will avoid some of the traffic.

We are recommending that our guests arrive from Sacramento and the North Bay via hwy 50. South Bay and Central Valley and Coast guest should arrive via Hwy 88 to Hwy 89.

And they are not allowed to stop at the special spot off Hwy 88 to fish.

Although I know a couple of very special spots in that area. One spot my daughter named the "Kids ONLY" fishing hole. She even made a sign that says no adults. She says that if I tell you, I'd have to kill you. Or she would kill me. Not sure which.

Dick White
Tahoma Meadows B&B

dickwhite
08-07-2009, 08:30 PM
I forgot to add that Hwy 80 from Truckee to Reno is bad no matter which way, time of day or day of the week.

We've been taking 431 Mtn Rose to get to and from Reno lately.

Plus there are some more secret spots on the way. And they do require some hiking.

Hopefull this mess will be done soon.

Dick White
Tahoma Meadows B&B