PDA

View Full Version : Bear River

ryeflyguy
08-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Fished the Bear between Combie and Rollins Tuesday evening with my brother. Used Prince nymph on a dropper under a big orange Stimulator. Lots of slashing rises to the stimi, one to hand, a couple on the nymph, very gentle takes. Also got one on a small mayfly emerger. Beautiful scenery, lots of wild blackberries (got the scratches to prove it), quail, hawks, signs of bear, deer, and fox. Had over a mile of stream all to ourselves. Life is very good.

DFrink
08-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the report. I alsways forget about the Bear River, and it's only about 1.5 miles from my house! I haven't been down there yet this summer. Have to give it a try next week. Did you start down off Combie, or where you further up?

ryeflyguy
08-06-2009, 02:29 PM
We were pretty close to Combie since my brother lives a couple hundred yards from the lake. All rainbows, 7-9 " for me, but feisty. My brother landed a fat 12 inch fish that worked his 4 wt for a couple minutes.

DFrink
08-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the report. I'll keep you posted how I do if or when I make it out.

bro_hair
08-14-2009, 02:21 AM
I guess i was fishing the bear to far up toward rollins lake! I went there last summer when the water was extremely low and found myself in some diifficult wading conditions. This gives me new modivation to try it again! :D

DFrink
08-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Bro Hair,

I'm going to fish the Bear on Wednesday night with a buddy of mine, I'll post how I do. I'm going to fish higher up near Rollins as it is very close to my house and I haven't fished it down by Combie before. Hopefully I'll find some decent bows, maybe even a brown!