PDA

View Full Version : Fuller or Lower Yuba?

DFrink
08-04-2009, 08:09 AM
I have a chance to get out and do some fishing tomorrow afternoon (haven't done much lately, just had a baby a couple of months ago). I live close to Fuller Lake, and the Yuba. I can't decide where to go. I know I will bring in fish at Fuller, but I love the Yuba. Any reports or advice? I am also wondering what the wind will be doing at Fuller, I fish out of a kayak so lots of wind = me not being able to stay in one place for very long.

DFrink
08-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Almost forgot, I'm knew to this board so hello. I really like this site, much better than the other one I usually visit.

Scott V
08-04-2009, 09:18 AM
As you stated you know you can get fish from Fuller, so I would go to the Yuba. IF you get no fish at the Yuba then go to Fuller.

And welcome aboard to the board

DFrink
08-04-2009, 09:25 AM
I am really feeling the Yuba right now, but I haven't fished it in like 3 months and don't usually do great during the hot summer months. Maybe I should just go with my gut and head for the Yuba. Only problem is by the time I get out there if the fishing is slow I won't have time to make it to Fuller. Any info on how it has been fishing would be appreciated. Are the hoppers getting any strikes? I'll let you all know how I do.

robdog
08-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Almost forgot, I'm knew to this board so hello. I really like this site, much better than the other one I usually visit.

Bro, welcome to the board. Too bad what happened w/ Fishsniffer huh??? :eek:

Hoser41
08-04-2009, 06:05 PM
What happened to fishsniffer ???

Bryan Morgan
08-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Fished Fuller last week both Sat. and Sun. We hooked fish all day both days, but go during the week if you can because there were dozens of people on the water.

Ed Wahl
08-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Forget those waters. Too crowded, too noisy, and one is full of planted rubber trout.

Have you ever fished the North Fork of the American? Plenty of wild trout and with this good water year it should still be fishing pretty good.

Access is above Foresthill off of Foresthill Rd.

Kinda.:-\"

Where you live maps are your best friend for incredibly good fishing.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard.

Ed

OregonSalmon
08-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Ed,
I hate Illinois nazis too. Damn bums got their permit.
Going to figure out how to get coho at the mouth of the Columbia on flies. Big run this year and my neighbor is crazed enough to go out every day. I'm thinking, which is dangerous to children and fish. Had a thought a minute ago. Going to see if it works. And where the hell are the crawdads dammit!!!!! -Galen-

Darrin.Deel
08-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Ed- Please explain why you think the Yubas trout are "rubber". not to be personal, but trying to find out about this fishery as much as I can

SHigSpeed
08-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Darrin,

Ed calls DFG's Finest "rubber". I think the Yuba fish are "glue"(?!).

_SHig

robdog
08-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Have you ever fished the North Fork of the American? Plenty of wild trout and with this good water year it should still be fishing pretty good.

http://www.geocities.com/jayrob6/emoticons/quiet.jpg
Dude, that is our secret. :-s

Fochetti
08-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Darrin,

He said and one of them is full of Rubber trout. I think he was speaking of the stockers at Fuller.

DFrink
08-05-2009, 06:57 AM
I will agree about the fish in Fuller, the Yuba however has some quality fish in it (in my opinion). I decided yesterday that is where I will go, it's close to home. I do fish the NF of the American, but making it over to FH after work in Sac and getting down to the river is not an option unless I want to fish in the dark (thanks for the suggestion). It is a bummer about the fish sniffer, I just lost my subscription to fishing and hunting magazine when they went under last fall (after over 50 years in business). Is the sniffer done, or is their web site just down? Thanks for all the input.

Darrin.Deel
08-05-2009, 08:12 AM
sorry ed, should have read closer. lets go fish.

robdog
08-05-2009, 09:35 AM
It is a bummer about the fish sniffer, I just lost my subscription to fishing and hunting magazine when they went under last fall (after over 50 years in business). Is the sniffer done, or is their web site just down? Thanks for all the input.

I believe the website is done, as it was costing too much to operate. I don't know. We shall see.

wineslob
08-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Forget those waters. Too crowded, too noisy, and one is full of planted rubber trout.

Kinda.:-\"

Where you live maps are your best friend for incredibly good fishing.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard.

Ed

LOL gonna make him go down to Mumford Bar??? :eek:

DFrink
08-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Ed,

I sent you a PM. I am familiar with the area above FH, would consider it for a day trip. Not enough time to do after work. Thanks anyways. Being a surveyor I definately know the benefit of maps, especially in my area.

Ed Wahl
08-05-2009, 04:24 PM
A surveyer?!!!!!:eek:

You mean you can actually read those things?:roll:

Squiggy lines on a map, how important can they be anyway?

Darrin, the rubber trout crack was meant about Fuller, and just to get a rise out of shig.(:lol:) I knew he'd bite. I wouldn't diss the trout in the Yuba, I'm a fan of wild trout wherever they're found.

Hey Wineslob, sounds like you've been around. How long ago were you in there?

And finally, Galen, I've just got to ask. Did your thought pan out? Did you find your crawdads? I hope you didn't lose them in your basement, they'll start stinking after a while. You've got us on the edge of our seats now.

Ed

Dabalone
08-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Speaking of Fuller I took a ride up there today, 8/5, been three years since last visit. Thunderheads were passing thru all day and the wind made things difficult. I only boated six fish, all browns but had lots of short strikes. The other flyfisherman I talked to said same thing, slow for them. Every one agreed the full moon probably had a lot to do with it. I firmly believe a full moon turns off trout in Sierra lakes, not so much in streams, I would go for the stream fishing as long as the bright light is shining in the sky at night.

DFrink
08-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Well I went out to the Yuba and fished a different run than I normally do. Nothing to report other than I had a great time being out of the house and spending the evening on the river. I was drifting rubber legs with a caddis pupa, talked with 1 guy in a drift boat who said he landed 3 on that setup. Saw a few agressive strikes on the surface before sundown, tried caddis, adams and mayfly's with no luck. At least I have a reason to go back.

CTM

wineslob
08-07-2009, 08:52 AM
A surveyer?!!!!!:eek:

You mean you can actually read those things?:roll:

Squiggy lines on a map, how important can they be anyway?

Darrin, the rubber trout crack was meant about Fuller, and just to get a rise out of shig.(:lol:) I knew he'd bite. I wouldn't diss the trout in the Yuba, I'm a fan of wild trout wherever they're found.

Hey Wineslob, sounds like you've been around. How long ago were you in there?

And finally, Galen, I've just got to ask. Did your thought pan out? Did you find your crawdads? I hope you didn't lose them in your basement, they'll start stinking after a while. You've got us on the edge of our seats now.

Ed

It's been about 10 years. Don't get me started on the Horseman's Association that's the "caretaker" of the trail. :mad:

The fishing was/is (?) excellent. I've been fishing it from Mumford to Beedy's for over 20 years.

Oh BTW, THERE ARE 26 SWITCHBACKS ON THE TRAIL............................................