PDA

View Full Version : Delta 8-02

Hairstacker
08-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Made it out to the Delta early this morning in my inflatable kayak and fly fished topwater with deer hair divers. Started out tossing up against the bank near various kinds of cover and got quite a few topwater hits and brought several to hand. This is the type of bank I was tossing against:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF0663.jpg

The fish were holding within 3’ of the bank and this one sipped the bug off the surface so gently I didn’t even realize I had a hit until I noticed my fly was no longer visible:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF0659.jpg

This next one was kind of exciting because after I tossed my diver out there and let it sit for a moment, I noticed a v-wake forming about 6 feet away from my fly and heading directly for it. And then as soon as the wake converged on my fly, Kersplash! Strong fish too, she bulldogged me pretty good, putting a very nice bend in my 7 wt. rod:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF0660.jpg

I got a few others as well but these were two of the better ones. I was fishing relatively slowly, tossing the diver out there, letting it sit for a bit, making it dive, then letting it sit for a little while longer.

After a while, the tide had run out and the water got too shallow to target the bank so I moved out to weedlines bordering deeper water. I maneuvered the kayak so I could cast parallel to the weedline and stripped the diver in rapidly, only pausing long enough to let it barely surface before yanking it under with a trail of bubbles again. I was going for a reaction bite by retrieving it so quickly, and sure enough, I got solid whacks from several fish but just didn’t hook up.

I hadn’t fished this rapid-retrieve topwater approach in a long time and I’m embarrassed to admit I didn’t maintain as good line control as I should have and probably should have hooked up and landed at least a couple of these fish. I believe one of them was a very nice fish too, judging by the amount of water she moved while I briefly had her on. Ah well, so it goes, no big deal, lessons re-learned. By the way, this can be a very exciting way to fish, as sometimes the bass practically fall all over themsevles trying to get at your bug.

All in all another very fun session! :D

Dabalone
08-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Nice, those are quality fish. Doesn't get much better than topwater bass on the flyrod, just takes one of those guys blowing up on your fly to get the juices flowing.

SLOwag
08-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Nice fish. This is my first season targeting bass with a fly rod and I've found that now that the heat of summer has arrived that a more subtle retrieve with a deer hair bug has enabled me to pull a fish off the weed line when an aggressive foam popping bug failed. I usually cast a Dahlberg style deer hair bug that I can quietly swim in the film or just under and when coupled with long pauses, I've also got bass to sip down the fly. I didn't know bass were so subtle....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-07-2009, 07:32 AM
I think the top water action in the Delta for LMB can be from around April to October with warm weather being key to success.

I thought bass fishing on top died in the mid-summer but a Delta commando told me he has done well all summer. It might be linked to water temps with the rivers that flow through the Delta.

In the heat of summer early and late has to be better for you and the fish.

Hairstacker
08-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Bill, I too have enjoyed as much Delta topwater success in the summer as any other time of the year and there are very nice fish to be had. As you say, getting out there at dawn is a great time to go and provides several hours of very pleasant and productive topwater fishing.

In fact, I would even go so far as to say if you get to know a particular area really well and fish it appropriately with productive tactics, you are just about guaranteed to get into topwater action in the heat of summer.

I do think the Delta can be a tough place to just show up for the 1st time and do well, as I still get skunked sometimes if I fish an unfamiliar area. Thus, if I were someone starting out on the Delta in a watercraft with limited range like mine (e.g., kayak), I would locate a small area that is more accessible to you (driving distance-wise) and has a reputation for good fishing and learn that small area really well, as opposed to taking a shotgun approach of fishing a different area each time you go. By sticking to one area, you'll learn which side of which tule island holds fish, which banks are most productive, what portions of a particular flat to target, etc.

Depending on how often you go, it can take a few seasons to feel like you've mastered an area, but let me hasten to add, it will be worth it. :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks Mike

I get lost down there very easily because I am 'directionally challenged'.

I know that some of our outings down there were best for those who had no motor.

My friend in Canada says the people who take out the boats with the largest motors from their lodge catch the least amount of fish.

Mike, do you think mornings are better than evenings in the heat of summer?

jbird
08-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Good stuff Mike! I love it when a new Delta report pops up by "Hairstacker". I know Im gonna see some nice bass and cool details!

Keep it up. Glad your gettn out doing what you love.

Hairstacker
08-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Bill -- I don't know which (morning vs. evening) is better in the heat of summer, as I rarely get to fish evenings due to other commitments. But I have experienced some great fishing in the evening, especially once the sun dips below the horizon. I think some of the big girls only move out of deep cover and on to the flats to feed in the evening. Given the chance, I know I would be just as excited to fish a hot summer evening as I would any morning.

Jay -- thanks(!!!), I appreciate your very kind comments. :)

Rodney D.
08-10-2009, 11:36 AM
I think evenings are the best for the Delta. I think fishing into the cool of the evenings instead of into the heat of the day is more productive. The nice thing about fishing evenings is that you can keep fishing and not have to deal with the heat. Night fishing can also be productive. Now that my children's swim seasons are over I'll be venturing out quite a bit the next month. Late August and September are my most productive months. Hairstacker...great report and nice fish...you are an honorary Deltan!