PDA

View Full Version : Info from a veteran biologist - Dennis Lee

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Bill;

I am not surprised to see “half-pounders” steelhead show up in the American River recently. During the past weeks, the water temperature of the Sacramento River at Verona has be running between 68 - 73 degrees F., while the American River has been several degrees lower at about 63.5 degrees F. and even dropped to 59 degrees F. the past weekend.

Steelhead migration in the Sacramento River was studied by Hallock et al. (1961) who reported that: - “Steelhead migrate into the upper Sacramento River during most months of the year in one continuous run. Each season the first of the migration passes the mouth of the Feather River in July. The run in 1954 and 1955 was continuous until the middle of the following March. In 1954 very few, if any, adult steelhead moved from the Delta into the upper Sacramento between the middle of March and the middle of June. The bulk of the run passes the Feather River between early August and late November, and the peak of the migration usually occurs near the end of September. However, this run timing pattern may have change slightly due to hatchery operations at Coleman National Fish Hatchery and Feather River Hatchery.

Additionally, information indicates that Sacramento River basin steelhead (not American River winter steelhead) presently range in size from 12–18 inches (304.8–457.2 mm) FL for adults returning after 1 year in the ocean, to 18–23 inches (457.2–584.2 mm) FL for adults returning after 2 years in the ocean (S.P. Cramer & Associates 1995).

It would not be surprised to see early returning Sacramento River steelhead entering the lower American River cool river flows in a manner similar to steelhead entering the lower Deschutes River that are headed for upper Columbia River areas. Based on the general size of the Sacramento River steelhead (most of the returning fish are less than 18 inches), I think anglers fishing the American River would and catching these steelhead would call them “half-pounders”.

I will be one of those looking for the those fish in the American and I am still available to make that presentation through your shop on American River steelhead for your customers.

Dennis

Dennis P. Lee

Folsom CA 95630

916 293 1825 cellular

matt johnson
08-02-2009, 10:06 AM
That is great info Bill! The Hallock study Dennis refered to is a great body of work. They used fyke traps just above Verona to catch the migrating steelhead, similar to the fyke traps used to trap and tag striped bass. They then measured and tagged the steelhead, then "recaptured" them upriver creeling anglers, and trapping them again in the tributaries. Using Hallock's data,the Sacramento river steelhead population was estimated at around 20,000+ fish during the 50's!

I hope you guys get a nice run of halfpounders! Matt.