PDA

View Full Version : Running lines behind shooting heads?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-31-2009, 08:09 AM
For many years (40+) we used mono behind shooting heads but I have never really liked it.

Today we have dozens of level fly line running lines in floating and intermediate sinking and in different diameters too.

While wading I think most would like the floating running line because it would float on the water as you strip in the excess rather than sink to the bottom.

While casting from a boat most use the intermediate sinking running lines, especially for Stripers, because it sinks giving you a straight shot to the fish while stripping.

These fly line running lines are all around 100', give or take, and they come in different diameters and different colors too.

Some new fly line running lines have nice welded loops on one or both ends which makes them very convenient for changing shooting heads in the field.

There are some good braided shooting lines and still lots of mono shooting lines as well.

We use the shooting head system for salmon and steelhead in the tide water pools on the coast and for Stripers and Shad which give you good distance and also allows you to changes heads with different sink-rates to match the ever changing river flows and depths.

Factory shooting heads can be anywhere from 25 to 35 feet long but most are 30 feet.

For getting down fast and casting in the wind the T-8, T-11, T-14 and T-17 level fast sinking line from Rio is very popular. Cortland's old LC-13 lead-core is good too.

People use it in varying lengths for making their own super fast sinking shooting heads, especially for Stripers in these parts.

If you want a good versatile shooting head system for one of your larger rods (#7/8/9) bring it into the shop and we can help you get all set up.

**At Kiene's fly Shop we have one of the largest selections of shooting heads and running lines in the world. Plus our staff has the most knowledge you will find about shooting head system for most any situation.

**I don't really like shooting head systems for trout because of the interference of the loops coming through the guides while stripping. I think full lines are just better for trout fishing.

**We use many of these looped floating running lines for Spey outfits.

wjorg
07-31-2009, 10:07 AM
And what a fun way to fish!

kingfisher
07-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Setting up a shooting head system is interesting and fun....I like the systems..........