PDA

View Full Version : Can a subaru tow a drift boat or pop up camper?

loganmike
07-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Updated the car search and have it narrowed down to a 2010 forester and a 2009 F150. I know completely different vehicles.

But the questions of the title are the most important. So what say ye?

me

aaron
07-30-2009, 06:18 PM
I've heard roo's tow drift boats just fine, saw one with a good sized gregor behind it at loon lake a few weekends ago. I think your only issue would be a few of the gnarlier launch ramps around the state, although the newer foresters have increased clearance a bit.

Mike R
07-30-2009, 06:24 PM
I echo what Aaron said. It's not so much a problem of towing it, it's a matter of ground clearance and tire size being able to get in and out of some of the launches on a lot of the rivers. The only river that comes to mind with "car friendly" ramps is the LSac. I can think of heavily used ramps on almost all our rivers that involves driving on gravel bars where those big cobbles love to bang the undercarriage.

See ya,
Mike

caltagm
07-30-2009, 06:46 PM
The 2009 Forester has a towing capacity of 2400 pounds. A drift boat would be well within that amount. A tent trailer would probably push that up to near the maximum. But either way, you're still good to go.

Cheers.

steelheadsicko
07-30-2009, 06:48 PM
those vehicles are tough as nails. I bought a 1990 legacy wagon P.O.S (piece of sh**)
for $500 and have been trying to break it and get it stuck for two years now and its still going strong.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-30-2009, 06:50 PM
All those little 4 banger SUVs tow about 1500# so be careful how much additional weight you put into the boat. I would fully load the vehicle first and keep the load out of the boat.

The Toyota RAV4 with the V6 has the highest towing rating of all small SUVs - 3500#. Wheel base is a little short for towing though.

With the F150 you could have a pop-up camper and tow a drift boat too.

Darrin.Deel
07-30-2009, 11:04 PM
My buddy mac used to tow his 17' lowe jet boat with his subaru outback. it was like a 98 and he would take his drift boat all over.

I would take a look at a rav4. my girlfriend has an 08 4spd auto 2wd and she loves it. 27 avg mpg. the thing could easily tow a drift boat

wineslob
07-31-2009, 08:33 AM
All those little 4 banger SUVs tow about 1500# so be careful how much additional weight you put into the boat. I would fully load the vehicle first and keep the load out of the boat.

The Toyota RAV4 with the V6 has the highest towing rating of all small SUVs - 3500#. Wheel base is a little short for towing though.

I agree with Bill. Having a Ford Ranger (4 cyl) for nearly 20 years and then getting a F150 taught me a valuable lesson, theres no substitite for HP/towing cap.
I towed (many, many times/years) a Scamp trailer (13 footer) with the Ranger. 45 mph uphill was a GOOD speed, and this thing only weighed 1300 lb loaded.
I now have a 12' box tent trailer (1600 lb dry), and even with it loaded to the gills, the bed filled with camping "crap" I can still hit 55 uphill at 4000 ft+.
No matter what brand of SUV you want, always go for the highest tow rating.

wineslob
07-31-2009, 08:35 AM

I agree with Bill. Having a Ford Ranger (4 cyl) for nearly 20 years and then getting a F150 taught me a valuable lesson, theres no substitite for HP/towing cap.
I towed (many, many times/years) a Scamp trailer (13 footer) with the Ranger. 45 mph uphill was a GOOD speed, and this thing only weighed 1300 lb loaded.
I now have a 12' box tent trailer (1600 lb dry), and even with it loaded to the gills, the bed filled with camping "crap" I can still hit 55 uphill at 4000 ft+.
No matter what brand of SUV you want, always go for the highest tow rating.

BobVP
08-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Mike,
I own both a Forester and a F150 (six cylinder, long bed, extra cab). Both '99s.

I don't know what the engine is in the newer Forester you are looking at but the older 4 cylinder I have is plenty strong for pulling my raft trailer, which is essentially a drift boat trailer and probably the weight difference is minimal. I do need to down shift up those long grades.

The truck has plenty of power (automatic) and can haul anything on a trailer. I have hauled well over 5000 pounds with the right trailer; Dual wheel, long bed, well balanced load.

I am 6'2" and have had to sleep in the back of the Forester a couple of times (too late to bother with the tent when I was only going to sleep a few hours before fishing again...) and there is plenty of room.

I haven't liked taking my canoe on the top of the Forester over long distances. Big canoe on top of smallish car: Too much being blown around.

Good luck.