PDA

View Full Version : AR with Paul

Jgoding
07-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Had the pleasure of fishing the AR with Paul Egan on Tuesday. It was a great time on the water as we learned a lot and the fishing wasn't bad to boot. Got 7 fish to hand between my bro and I, the biggest around 8lbs or so. Most fish were were between 4 and 6lbs I would estimate.

I think this was the first fish of the day (about my 3rd or 4th cast I think) and was the biggest

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/jgoding/Jgoding7-28001email.jpg

Should've had a double too, but Kevin dropped the fish, then it came back and jumped at the fly on the surface but missed...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/jgoding/Jgoding7-28003e-mail.jpg

Kevin's first fish if I remember correctly

Another nice fish later on

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/jgoding/Jgoding7-28005e-mail.jpg

Got a double to end the day

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/jgoding/Jgoding7-28010e-mail.jpg

The fish I'm holding put up a good fight and I thought it was bigger than it was considering it was the only fish to get on the reel and made some strong runs. It was a 6lber at about 23".

Caught a few dinks as well and one squaw around 3lbs as well. Had one fish cut the line at the boat early on as well and had a few missed strikes. Didn't photograph all the beauties we caught but you guys get the point.

Paul was great company and is a an all around nice guy. We let him fish a little bit and he got a nice fat aggressive 4"er to hand on a nice looking new tie of his.

paulegan81
07-29-2009, 11:41 PM
hey that pick is of a smaller fish we caught lower in the river......
we couldn't take a shot of your first one cuz your bro was in the act of loosing that other nice one that hit the fly twice....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am real sorry about that fly.....#-o
dam that was a nice fish too.......:crybaby:
I will have to take a grinder to the bottom of my boat and clean off all the rough edges....:-k

the fly I was using was an home-made: STRIPER CAVIAR....:unibrow:

Thanks again for joining me aboard the Striper Piper
for a great day of striper action
you guys cast very well....
And Kevin did learn not to lift the rod......by the third or was it the fourth Grab??

Charlie Gonzales
07-30-2009, 07:25 AM
The brothers Goding... good jobs guys!

paulegan81
07-30-2009, 07:44 AM
hey charlie
you need to get that job done and get out an fish more....

Jgoding
07-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Hey Paul,

Don't worry bout the fly I can tie more.... it was only the second best pseudo airhead I ever tied....LOL. I lost the best one myself some weeks ago so don't feel so bad... I swear we got pics of that first fish but I think you're right as that one is looking a little smaller. It was a pleasure fishing with you.

Charlie, sent you a PM.

Charlie Gonzales
07-30-2009, 07:55 AM
With no bookings this week I had to take the job, gotta thinks about my little ones.
Yesterday I was in bed w/a migrane that lasted over 16hrs so now Im a day behind. Tuesday is my b-day and plan to be on the water all day w/friends.

Scott V
07-30-2009, 08:41 AM
With no bookings this week I had to take the job, gotta thinks about my little ones.
Yesterday I was in bed w/a migrane that lasted over 16hrs so now Im a day behind. Tuesday is my b-day and plan to be on the water all day w/friends.

Looks like I won't be getting a call to fish with you on Tuesday, huh?:D

David Lee
07-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Oh , man .....

Kevin and Jeff - last of the hardcore WADING Striper guys , fishin' out of a boat !??!

Time for me to curl into a fetal position an' suck my thumb ...... (kidding)

Great report !! Nice to see Kev still has a foot , also -

David

Jgoding
07-30-2009, 09:59 AM
LOL David... I didn't know I was "hardcore wader". We gotta get together for some tying and fishing soon. Check ur PM.

Hope you feel better Charlie..... I'm lucky where as I only get migraines in the fall/winter during pressure changes typically. Hope your B-day is a good one.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys.....where is Robin?

We are soooo.... lucky to have the Lower American River in our "backyard".

Get out in a boat or wade for those Stripers right now.

They are probably feeding well in many valley rivers too.

Kevin Goding
07-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah sorry Dave, wading is too much work at 5000 CFS haha. Thanks for taking us out Paul it was fun. I'll get my hook set down sooner or later, that old rod jerk is just a reflex from 26 years of trout fishing on the fly. It's probably genetic since dad has a bad habit of cathing small trout before they smack him between the eyes or digging them out of the bushes to put back in the river.

I did miss a couple solid strikes though, had to be the 30 pounders. Although one of those fish in the pictures I did catch after missing the first strike early in the retrieve. I was just bummed because I messed up on the first double opportunity. But that's why we call it "fishing" and not "catching".

paulegan81
07-30-2009, 10:50 AM
She has been working over time cuz she has an audit coming up....
I got her out last weekend and she got a nice 4.5#'er

We both can hardly wait til Mid Sept.....
Delta Top Water Stripes!!!!