PDA

View Full Version : Waders: Zipper or No Zipper?

speyfool
07-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Due to seam leaks, I have to get a new pair of waders. I'm trying to decide between an almost identical pair. One has a front zipper, the other doesn't.

Those of you that own a zipper version of waders... What do you think? Worth it or not? I almost like the idea of of not having a zipper, because you have a little bit extra pocket space. However, having a zipper certainly has its advantages when relieving oneself or simply trying to cool down on a hot day.

One thing that I'm wondering about with the zippered versions. As someone who doesn't have a large midsection, I'm wondering if the belt will cause some folding around the zipper area (due to extra material gathering together) and if it will cause a problem from wear.

Any opinions will be helpful.

Thanks

Don Powell
07-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Because I'm A) value-minded B) traditional (I'm pretty damn fast at unbuckling the waist belt and two shoulder straps when Nature calls after all these years of practice!) I bought the nonzip version...they are tough wearing and have lived up to all my expectations. I have worn them for two years and expect to get some extra river miles.
When I purchase my next pair they will be the same model...Simms has delivered and I am grateful.

Don

bearcrawl
07-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Got some zippys bout 8 months ago and didn't really think much about them. Last week I threw the wrong waders in the boat accidentally and never missed anything more in my life.
Here are a few things I have noticed.
Zipper does not leak. At least on my waders. Bunch of people have told me they do but I haven't had that experience. Figure bout 50 days so far and no leaks.
REALLY easy to get on and off. Thought the peein thing would be the best thing about them but on/off is better.
I think that since they don't need to be loose for on and off they seem to fit better. Narrower aground the chest makes them not feel like baggy ass waders. Feel like street clothes.
4 pockets are nice.
Don't have anything bad to say about them really.
Retail is hella $.
Kinda thick from the waist down. A little hotter than thinner waders. Makes them tougher though. Trade off?

speyfool
07-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I've been thinking this over and decided to go with the non zippered version. I came to the realization that it isn't really that big of a deal to pull the waders down when nature calls. And, getting in my current waders are a non issue. Getting out is even easier. Just undo the suspenders and let them drop. :)

While having zippers would be beneficial on a hot day, I'm slightly concerned about leakage, which I've heard mixed feedback about.

Thanks again. :)

Darian
07-31-2009, 09:30 AM
JEEZ!!!! This thread is so ripe with opportunity for some humor.... I can't understand how I've resisted..... ARRRrrrrrghhhh!!!!! Must....maintain.... :-\" :rolleyes:

wjorg
07-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Simms has shown me some of the worst customer service I've ever encountered with anything. But also made some improvements.

However, I have to say, their Zippered Waders have never let me down as far as the Zipper is concerned. The other features of their G4...padded shoulder straps, etc...can probably be found on other waders, so I guess the main benefit of the Zipper is easy access to pee. I like it. But its not worth a few hundred more to pee fast, or I would fish in diapers.....

speyfool
07-31-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm actually not even looking at the Simms. I didn't say what brand, because I didn't know what the protocol was on this board, since it is run by a fly shop that may not (or may, I don't really know) carry the waders I'm looking at.

Thanks guys.